Dying fish please help

Reaction score
Lol Billy, you are too funny :) Lots of good advise here pdpond. Just remember, even the the most experienced ponders are still learning new things at times. It's a culmination of things, a "perfect storm", if you will, that will make your pond healthy and happy. So, read like a mad man, and when you think you got it, read more! Lol. Sounds like youre getting the just of things, LOTS to learn!
I just wanted to touch base again on the newness of your pond, A two month old pond, even though it MAY ( and I mean May) have cycled fully, is still very young. And you've done what just about every newbe does when they get a new pond and fill it up with way too many fish. If your filter is not big enough, the water perameters are not stable and too many fish, make for purfect " Mother Nature" culling process. If the water can't support that many fish, it wil take care of the problem itself.

pdpond

Banned
Reaction score
mba's cfu's kh, pa, holy I feel like I'm reading a medical book lol, I think I'm more confused now than I was before I dug the pond hole lol,
it seems as though the water has stabilized, I checked it out this morning already and its crystal clear, and holy can I see a lot of crap around the bottom especially where the filter box is, I guess, watching them come up to eat isn't as important as keeping them healthy, how often should I really be feeding them? obviously ever day is over doing it

does anyone use a pond vacuum or can I just use the skimmer to scoop most of it out?

someone asked about dechlor. and yes I do use it, sorry if I hadn't mentioned it but I thought I had

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
pdpond said:
I apologize to everyone that has asked questions and I haven't answered directly this is a lot of information and so many ppl tuning in, I appreciate it all,
No need to apologize, and you are most welcome. :)

When people post about their problems or issues, WE always pretty much ask a routine set of questions back at them. And that's because the MORE information we have about your pond, the better picture we have of what might be going on [since we're not there to see it in person]. It's like going to the doctor. It's not enough to tell him/her that you've been having headaches for 2 weeks. He needs to know your medical and family histories, what other symptoms you're having [let him decide if they're pertinent], what you've done that either made it better or worse, what medications you take, etc.

Fishylove said:
Lots of good advise here pdpond. Just remember, even the the most experienced ponders are still learning new things at times. It's a culmination of things, a "perfect storm", if you will, that will make your pond healthy and happy. So, read like a mad man, and when you think you got it, read more! Lol. Sounds like youre getting the just of things, LOTS to learn!
Ditto! Ask questions! Lots of them! And question the answers.

pdpond

Banned
Reaction score
ok next question:

as stated I put in a UV light this week, since then the water is crystal clear, I'm mean if I'm cutting the grass and get thirsty I'd drink this stuff lol, so the question is about the UV light, I've heard although it kills single cell algae, that its not prejudice and kills both good and bad algae, so should I leave it running all the time or should I cycle the light as need be? I have so much algae built up on the rocks and liner I'm wondering if that offsets the balance and keeps good algae since its not flowing through the UV light and getting destroyed
what do you guys think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
pdpond. Sorry about your dying fish. Re declor. You need to treat the water with declor before you dump in the water. I always let my buckets sit for at least a day after adding declor before adding this water to my pond. Chlorine and chlorimine will burn your fishes gills and reduce their ability to use O2. Also water changes should never exceed 15-20% at one time. Also its very important to have the sides of your pond raised so there is no water runoff into it from your yard. As others have mentioned 2 months is still very young for a pond and it most likely has not fully cycled. Generally it can take 3-6 weeks to fully cycle at temps above 55 degrees F. Also the algae bloom might have been cause by excess food in the pond. Only feed what they can eat in a few minutes. Also it doesn't matter how clear the water is. This has nothing to do with how healthy it is for your fish. Generally good water quality (not clarity) equal healthy fish and the opposite is true as well. Take it very easy with feedings and don't add any more fish this year. Good luck!

pdpond

Banned
Reaction score
sounds good I will definitely leave the UV on all the time yet, I'm loving this clear water again,

cometkeith: I read if I put in the dechlor before I trickle in the water it still has the same effect since the chemical has no chlorine to dissolve it does so as it is available, I only did the 40% water exchange because the fish were still dying rapidly, and the water was getting worse with the pea soup effect, I'm glad I did because since that water exchange and the uv light I have only lost one fish, which I knew I would and the water has cleared right up, it was a wise choice in my situation, the sides of the pond are raised up 6" higher than the grass, the entire back yard was done, if you look at our profile pic you can see the pond was put in even before the yard was rototilled for sod, also I have only fed the fish what they eat, I don't let the food just fall to the bottom I feed them a bit at a time and then stop when they stop eat like little pigs, other than that they have only been fed once in the last 5 or 6 days,
hope I didn't leave anything out, and thanks for the good wishes,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
pdpond, It sounds like you are on the right track. I probably have 2 to 3 times the bio-mass in my pond than yours that is half the size but it works because it is not so new and there is sufficient beneficial bacteria in mine to keep things in check. It's hard to do, but for the first year a few fish is probably enough until your pond cycles all the way. I think all of us have learned by the empirical method. My oldest fish was the last one left when I had such a learning experience, but now he is surrounded by many new friends that are almost as old as him!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dont get too excited you have a major spike in Amonnia and Nitrite to come , keep an eye on your water test when you can be ready for it.

rgrds

Dave

pdpond

Banned
Reaction score
why will I have a major spike still?
also anyone know when under my waterfall on the liner is a bit of foam? and some mornings the waterfall makes bubbles that float to the other end?

Reaction score
here is another abbreviation for you Don...it is D O C....Dissolved Organic Compounds....these would be a combination of proteins, waste, algae and any other combination of compounds that are waterborne...these can cause an ammonia spike, or a nitrate or nitrite spike, or any other variable that can be harmful to your pets...excessive bubbles, especially LARGE ones are usually the first sign that you need a water change...any more ???'s...LOL...Billy

pdpond

Banned
Reaction score
so how about a pond vacuum for the DOC's????

also the bubbles are not large they are just bubbles and they are gone with a few hrs in the day, usually they only appear in the morning,

what was it I was supposed to get to control the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite???

oyster shells are for PH correct?

pdpond

Banned
Reaction score
everyone has seemed to of fallen asleep for the weekend, but I have another update,
another day with no dead fish YEAH, I think I have it under control
also I bought a 120 Gallon tank yesterday so I can quarantine any fish longer than a week and so in the winder the koi can come inside,
the goldies can live a nice Canadian winter outside, I have a heater for the pond and its 3 feet deep

no one has really told me how often I am supposed to feed the fish, is every day too much?
I've only fed them twice now since the bought with goldfish grim reaper I'm sure they are getting hungry
thanks

Ask a Question