dying fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pond that is about 300 gal and I just built a new bio filter 3 weeks ago. I also have a fountain for oxygen. I have lost about 12 goldfish and 4 koi in the last 2 weeks. I don't know any of the readings of the water but the bio filter has the pond crystal clear in full 95° sunlight. Can anyone take a guess.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My guess - too many fish for your small pond. You finally hit critical overload, compounded by the extreme heat and it killed your fish. But that's just a guess!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, but sorry we're hearing from you under these circumstances.

Please read below and answer as many questions as possible. We'll need more information before we can say anything for sure, but just from what I've read so far, it sounds like your pond is overstocked. A 300 gal. pond might be OK for a few goldfish, but certainly not for koi. If you've lost 12 GF and 4 koi, how many did you have in there to begin with and how many [and what kind] are left? And how big are they?

You said you built a "new biofilter." Is the pond new as well, or was it already established and you simply upgraded the filter? Three weeks might not be enough time for the pond to cycle, so your biofilter might not be fully functioning just yet. With a test kit (see paragraph below), you can follow the levels and you'll know when your pond is ready to add fish. And it's a common misconception that "crystal clear" water means healthy water -- it doesn't (but it looks nicer).

You need to have your water tested for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH. You can take a sample to a local pet store, but it would be better if you could buy a test kit ("drop" kits are more reliable than "strip" kits) so you could learn to do this yourself.

Another contributing problem might be your water temperature. How deep is your pond?

If you can, buy a thermometer so you can keep tabs on the water in the pond -- my pond is almost 3000 gallons. Our local temps have been running in the high 90's, as well, and water temps are in the mid-to-high 80's -- that's high for GF & koi, which are cold water fish. And this temp-thing is happening to ALL of us right now -- we just have to monitor and take steps to keep the water as cool as possible.

How were the dead fish acting before they died? Did you notice anything unusual like were they congregating at the surface, gasping, or were they swimming erratically, rubbing against the sides of the pond, or jumping? And did you notice anything unusal about the dead fish such as missing scales, sores, any discolorations, "growths" on their bodies, etc.?

Here's what I would do:
  • buy a test kit (or at least take a sample to have it tested) -- ASAP
  • do a water change -- if your water has chlorine and/or chloramines added by your city, be sure to add chemicals the neutralize these.
  • get an air pump and add some air stones
  • just in case your might be over-feeding, I would either cut back or stop feeding temporarily
  • find a way to add shade
  • depending on how many fish you have, you might need to consider re-homing some
  • be sure you have good surface water movement via you fountain and biofilter -- adding airstones will help, as well

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Moderators, I just noticed that the OP started 2 separate threads with this topic -- is there any way you can combine these into one?

@Ian @addy1 @fishin4cars

EDIT: Also, maybe move it to the "Illness & Disease" topic......

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome, but sorry we're hearing from you under these circumstances.

Please read below and answer as many questions as possible. We'll need more information before we can say anything for sure, but just from what I've read so far, it sounds like your pond is overstocked. A 300 gal. pond might be OK for a few goldfish, but certainly not for koi. If you've lost 12 GF and 4 koi, how many did you have in there to begin with and how many [and what kind] are left? And how big are they?

You said you built a "new biofilter." Is the pond new as well, or was it already established and you simply upgraded the filter? Three weeks might not be enough time for the pond to cycle, so your biofilter might not be fully functioning just yet. With a test kit (see paragraph below), you can follow the levels and you'll know when your pond is ready to add fish. And it's a common misconception that "crystal clear" water means healthy water -- it doesn't (but it looks nicer).

You need to have your water tested for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH. You can take a sample to a local pet store, but it would be better if you could buy a test kit ("drop" kits are more reliable than "strip" kits) so you could learn to do this yourself.

Another contributing problem might be your water temperature. How deep is your pond?

If you can, buy a thermometer so you can keep tabs on the water in the pond -- my pond is almost 3000 gallons. Our local temps have been running in the high 90's, as well, and water temps are in the mid-to-high 80's -- that's high for GF & koi, which are cold water fish. And this temp-thing is happening to ALL of us right now -- we just have to monitor and take steps to keep the water as cool as possible.

How were the dead fish acting before they died? Did you notice anything unusual like were they congregating at the surface, gasping, or were they swimming erratically, rubbing against the sides of the pond, or jumping? And did you notice anything unusal about the dead fish such as missing scales, sores, any discolorations, "growths" on their bodies, etc.?

Here's what I would do:
  • buy a test kit (or at least take a sample to have it tested) -- ASAP
  • do a water change -- if your water has chlorine and/or chloramines added by your city, be sure to add chemicals the neutralize these.
  • get an air pump and add some air stones
  • just in case your might be over-feeding, I would either cut back or stop feeding temporarily
  • find a way to add shade
  • depending on how many fish you have, you might need to consider re-homing some
  • be sure you have good surface water movement via you fountain and biofilter -- adding airstones will help, as well
Lot to take in but I will test water tomorrow. The fish were happy, eating well and swimming well and the next morning, belly up. Very nice homemade bio filter but has only been up and running for 3 weeks. Plenty of oxygen. Answer may lye with test. Thanks for the help.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry for that. New on here and thought it was two separate rooms.
No, no, no -- not your fault! Don't worry about that! But to avoid confusion and to keep all of the information in one place, what I've done is requested the moderators to combine the posts.

I think we would all rather see someone repeat-post than NOT to seek help at all.

But probably a better place to post this would be "Illness & Disease," so maybe the mods will move it over there for you. I'll see if I can still edit my post and add that suggestion.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, no, no -- not your fault! Don't worry about that! But to avoid confusion and to keep all of the information in one place, what I've done is requested the moderators to combine the posts.

I think we would all rather see someone repeat-post than NOT to seek help at all.

But probably a better place to post this would be "Illness & Disease," so maybe the mods will move it over there for you. I'll see if I can still edit my post and add that suggestion.
Ok. Sorry for the confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question