fish are dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 300 gal pond with a new 3 week old bio filter and a fountain for oxygen. I've lost 12 goldfish and 4 koi in the last 3 weeks. I don't know the readings of the water but the pond is Crystal clear. Can't figure it out. Some help please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a or 7b
Country
United States
When did they die? One a day? All at once?
Pictures of the dead ones would be helpful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gave you my guess on your other post - too many fish, too small of a pond, too high of heat = critical mass. The combination caught up to you and killed your fish. How many do you have left? Just a reminder that "clean" water does not equal healthy water for your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry about your fish. i would suggest you look up threads on gpf about cycling a pond. Once you read them it will be obvious what happened.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gave you my guess on your other post - too many fish, too small of a pond, too high of heat = critical mass. The combination caught up to you and killed your fish. How many do you have left? Just a reminder that "clean" water does not equal healthy water for your fish.
I had about eight baby gold fish and two small koi and the fish had plenty of room. This is my sixth pond I've had and never has this happen . I know not good but I never check the levels of my water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry about your fish. i would suggest you look up threads on gpf about cycling a pond. Once you read them it will be obvious what happened.
This is a mold pond that I have had for yrs and just started again. I've had as many as 25 small fish in this pond for 2yrs and this never happen. It has been very hot..95 and this is the first bio filter I've had but this is the clearest my pond has ever been.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had about eight baby gold fish and two small koi and the fish had plenty of room. This is my sixth pond I've had and never has this happen . I know not good but I never check the levels of my water.

@Johnny d. OK, I'm officailly confused. You state here that you "had" 8 baby GF and 2 small koi. But in your OP, you said that you lost 12 GF and 4 koi........

Also, the amt. of physical room is not the issue. What you need to be concerned about is the amount of waste products given off by the fish. If those waste products can't be broken down [or disposed of via water changes], they will build up in the water, the water will become toxic and your fish will either die from that or will become ill as a side effect of poor water as it weakens them, making them more susceptible to infections.

And yes, I agree with you 100% -- not checking water = not good!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Johnny d. OK, I'm officailly confused. You state here that you "had" 8 baby GF and 2 small koi. But in your OP, you said that you lost 12 GF and 4 koi........

Also, the amt. of physical room is not the issue. What you need to be concerned about is the amount of waste products given off by the fish. If those wast products can't be broken down [or disposed of via water changes], they will build up in the water, the water will become toxic and your fish will either die from that or will become ill as a side effect of poor water as it weakens them, making them more susceptible to infections.

And yes, I agree with you 100% -- not checking water = not good!
The bio filter I made has a discharge on the bottom and once a week I discharge the waste at the bottom of the filter into the yard.so the pond has little waste and is clear. As fish die, I have been adding new ones each week and they die also, one by one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
At this point I'm going to work on my water quality before adding new fish. As of now I have 4med gold fish about four in. Long in the pond and one koi about in and a half. I will stick with that for the next three weeks till my filter finishes it's six week cycle and my water gets into spec.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Johnny your problem is you need to learn to run before you can walk , you must never put new fish straight into your pond they must have a Quarentine fasility to spend 4-8 weeks in before they go in your main pond .
You are also "WAY" overstocked, that size pond should have perhaps one or two koi or three or four goldfish only .
At this current time we need the basics from you , I take it you have a test kit for your ponds water perameters yes ?
If thats the case what are the following readings Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Ph .
Next I suspect your pond isnt as yet cycled meaning the levels of Ammonia and Nitrate are way to high so that has to be brought under control.
Otherwise your just going to throw money away as your fish will continue to die you should have done this at the start.

Dave

Ask a Question