Early Spring Hardy Lily Questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The past 3 years my lily had come out of its pot and was growing free in the water. My biggest koi are about 18" and they weren't stunting it at all once they knocked them out of the pots. That said and done I removed all my lily's at the end if this past season because the muck that was accumulating was causing water quality issues. I will miss the near 100% surface coverage and profuse blooms but it will be nice to actually see my fish!

Hmm, I'm vacillating now! A bit of trepidation!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I divided a tuber, put one in kitty litter, one tied to a rock. Side by side as close as you can without causing issues. The potted one grew bloomed has extra tubers. The non kitty litter tied to a rock one did nothing except grow some leaves. I might not have enough fish poo to support free growing lilies. My bog sucks a lot of nutrients out of the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Ok newbie responding so feel free to laugh at what I was thinking :) what about a milk crate over the pot, allows the lily to start but fish can't reach the pot? Again I'm the guy building his first pond so no knowledge at all just trying to brainstorm as I will be addressing the same hopefully soon.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not a bad idea to the above but the blooms are usually too big to go through such small openings and you would end up with quite a few leaves trapped as well. I still have a lotus in a pot that's doing pretty well. I used shards of broken pottery stood up edgewise in the dirt to deter my slimy monsters and it works .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok newbie responding so feel free to laugh at what I was thinking :) what about a milk crate over the pot, allows the lily to start but fish can't reach the pot? Again I'm the guy building his first pond so no knowledge at all just trying to brainstorm as I will be addressing the same hopefully soon.
The way they grow, first shoots head up right near the tuber. If you could have the crate right over tuber, inches,, the shoots would go through the holes. Find some sort of crate at walmart, dollar store etc with bigger openings, if possible.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All the above sound good. The plastic netting with large sporadic rocks might allow the shoots through.
So you don't use a sterilized soil? I'll give it a shot. Thanks all... Would like to know about the " No Soil " though.

I have a high fish load so lots of fishy fertilizer! I use the snow/ construction fencing, 1 1/2" openings.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a high fish load so lots of fishy fertilizer! I use the snow/ construction fencing, 1 1/2" openings.

Good idea! They make it in green so it would be hardly noticeable. Also the deer fencing has decent openings and black.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Great answer but milk crates float ... In 4 ft of water, probably need 2 cinder blocks to raise it, then the pot, then the milk crate and then another cinder block to keep the milk crate down. Or you could put on scuba gear and tie the milk crate to the cinder blocks below ... LOL getting funky !!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Good idea! They make it in green so it would be hardly noticeable. Also the deer fencing has decent openings and black.

This is what I use, deer fencing. I plant the tubers in kitty litter, then zip tie the deer fencing shut. It's worked well with my koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is what I use, deer fencing. I plant the tubers in kitty litter, then zip tie the deer fencing shut. It's worked well with my koi.

@Tula ... I'd love to get some hardy lilies growing if possible. Being a Long Island boy, I'd have to find some deer fencing or a facsimile . So, you plant the lily in kitty litter in a larger pot, right? Then what do you use to keep the litter down, sand?
Then you take all that and seal it up in plastic fencing and tie wrap the deer fencing closed. I googled it and found something
that would work but they're long rolls.
Thanks Tula ... Have to see what I can devise ....

I guess this would work if I could find someone with a few feet of it ....
http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Gardener...8&qid=1455812641&sr=1-5&keywords=deer+fencing

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Tula Then what do you use to keep the litter down, sand?
The litter stays in the pot by itself if you have no fish digging it up. I just pour it in, plant the lily, sink it slowly so it wets. It does send out dust, but with my set up the dust is gone quickly, like using koi clay, actually good for the pond.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried a couple of pots with kitty litter last year. They got tipped over and the litter got dumped! These were 2 1/2 gallon buckets. All soil free this year except my hybrid tropical trio.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried a couple of pots with kitty litter last year. They got tipped over and the litter got dumped! .
shubunkins are gentler to the plants............ I do have some kitty litter on the bottom, from my spills. I just leave it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
So, are you guys using kitty litter to plant your hardy lilys in? If so, is that all you use in the container?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use kitty litter and dump around 1/4 cup osmocote under the litter. Feeds the lilies all summer.

Ask a Question