ecology projects

Reaction score
This is not really an ecology project but since it is solar related I think a big project for next year's Ecopolice will be an Analemmatic (Human) Sundial. I know you can buy kits that have all the plans and measurements done but I usually don't do things the easy way. I found several websites and some excel spread sheets to help do the calculations (and here I thought I would never use college trigonometry again, WRONG) I have all the measurements set to build one at school, the location and the plan for what materials, now, write it all up and present it to the principal for approval since the kids will be painting on the basketball court.

The kids really don't "play" basketball they just shoot hoops so a sundial in a corner of the court should not be a problem. I choose that area because all grade levels will have access during recess to play on it and practice telling time.

I am drawing one out on my driveway later today to see if I got all the measurements right and if it works well. I did have fun trying to find true north by using solar noon and forgetting about daylight savings time, GMT, UT. I studied last night over the calculations, rechecking on websites, setting up a tripod, cutting cardboard, making a plumb to have everything level, just like it showed on the website. Today I took two measurements so I would have the daylight savings time correct, while sweating in the sun.

While waiting the for the hour to arrive I found a website that showed how to find directions while lost in the woods. To find true north, push a stick in the ground and mark the point of the shadow, wait 15 minutes and mark it again. Draw a line between the two points and draw a second line perpendicular to the first line. The second line points to true north. And you know, that stick in the ground was just as accurate as all the calculations, materials, and time spent setting up everything else. All I needed was a stick!! After making the markings I stood with a very long level on the same spot and it's shadow lined up with true north. duh

So you can either use a stick in the ground and draw lines anytime of the day or use a tall level at solar noon and get the same measurement. LOL

Reaction score
Yea, my sundial works! Once you get past all the measuring and calculations the finished product is quite cool.

The kids will paint theirs on the black top.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
nice to know nova, if I ever get lost in the woods!

Ask a Question