Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Right, breaker amperage should never be increased without knowing what gauge wire is being used.
Amperage does not affect heat induction in the line. Only voltage is important in considering a gauge change. This why a house can have 110 volt lines all with standard Romex but have 10 15 20 and up to 60 amp end uses. Volts = how much power is available in the line at all times Amps= How much is actually used at the other end.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Amperage does not affect heat induction in the line. Only voltage is important in considering a gauge change. This why a house can have 110 volt lines all with standard Romex but have 10 15 20 and up to 60 amp end uses. Volts = how much power is available in the line at all times Amps= How much is actually used at the other end.
That doesn't sound quite right to me. If this is so then what is the need for 8 and 10 gauge 110 volt extension cords?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
That doesn't sound quite right to me. If this is so then what is the need for 8 and 10 gauge 110 volt extension cords?
Because Romex is already a large gauge cause it provides power to several area. An ext cord only need to be large if you are using alot of that power. Basically a large gauge extension is only as big as the primary wiring in the house. After all what good would a large gauge be if the line running to the outlet connection was smaller? The Romex in my house is 14 on the 110 and 12 on the 220. The only real need for those large gauges is when using them on 220 circuits or for applications that have high resistance such as power tools that utilize all the voltage available. Example: A electric plug in heater can provide up to 2200 amps but the cord is no different than the one on a fan or lamp.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

That is incorrect.
14 gauge wire can have a maximum 15 amps. It's in the national safety code.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
That is incorrect.
14 gauge wire can have a maximum 15 amps. It's in the national safety code.
14 gauge can have a max circuit of 15 amps that is only applicable to fault interrupters and breakers not load.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I guess I should add the caveat that I have no desire or need to debate electricity unless it is with my next certification officer...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Marshall, I'm not qualified to debate electrical matters, but there are national safety codes that must be followed.
I have a copy of the electrical standards manual, I wired our house and my work was passed by the electrical inspector.
I know the basics and if there is something I don't know off the top of my head, I know where to find the facts.
I also know what my knowledge limitations are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
12 gauge wire for run from box to pond area.

That's good to hear. A 20 amp breaker is appropriate for 12 guage wire.
Have you tried using a volt meter to trace how far the current is going?

Also, visually inspect the 12 guage wire for any signs of discolouration. Discolouration is a sign that there has been too much current flowing through the wiring causing overheating in the wire and possibly melting the wire insulation.

Ask a Question