Electrical headache!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I agree. It needs to be done right.
There are 2 opportunities to fix things, 1 before something goes wrong, and the other time is after something goes wrong.:)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm glad at least everything is ok with running off extension cord so far but not sure what else is on that circuit so keeping pond service to minimum. Had problems before with power being cut ( cut thru line with pole pruner) that resulted in splice, so used to dealing with problems but this is first time with not being able to find problem easily. In dealing with this, found a lot of issues and learned a lot. I just hope we can get this corrected in the next few days so we can get back to normal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you're running 200 feet of 12 gauge then to an extension cord that may be 14 gauge, the extension cord could overheat.
Feel the extension cord to see if it is warm to the touch. If so, reduce the equipment being powered.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
going to replace the outlet up front for the light to a metal Northwest box and mount under house out of weather and reduce pond outlets to 1 Northwest box with a 6 outlet box attached and limit power usage .Going solar on lighting.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
@mrsclem , I've followed this thread and am very impressed with your skills :)
Thanks Tula. Dad was a man of many trades so learned a lot. Problem is I have forgotten a lot! Moved our laundry form basement to a gutted tiny bathroom and did all wiring and plumbing myself. Only had one plumbing leak and had it fixed before hubby got home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thanks Tula. Dad was a man of many trades so learned a lot. Problem is I have forgotten a lot! Moved our laundry form basement to a gutted tiny bathroom and did all wiring and plumbing myself. Only had one plumbing leak and had it fixed before hubby got home.

My Dad could do anything...just wish he'd taught me too !

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Lost my dad 3 years ago. learned so much but over the years I am starting to forget. He did so much here when we bought our house.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Mrsclem,
If you are saying that the new gfci will not reset, but you have power at the box that the receptacle is mounted in, check the specifications that came with the new gfci.
Newer gfci's require an operating voltage of between 95 and 130 volts.
With the long run from the breaker panel, your end voltage may have dropped below that.
Lower voltage may not be good for your pond equipment, either.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That makes sense. I just can't figure why this just started. Going to run all new 12-2 wire to the ponds and hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions. Will keep you updated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Water intrusion, age of circuit, circuit frequently running to capacity(or beyond) can heat up the wires which causes expansion/contraction, which causes loose joints, causes arcing, ....
Trying to pinpoint all the causes could be a summer project in itself.:)
It's a good thing that you have a basic understanding of electricity, otherwise something serious could go wrong before you know it.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I'm happy to report that the GFIs are now running the ponds!!!!!! I went back to the first splice where the wiring was added for the light up front and removed that wiring. Reconnected just pond circuit line and it works! 2 possible problems there- the outlet for the light getting wet and causing a short (even though the light was still working) and where we had to re-run cctv cable was right next to this junction box and the wiring pulled loose.
This has been a headache and also a learning experience.The wiring will get completely redone but hopefully not till next year. Don't mind the wiring but hate digging. The 2 off brand breakers have been replaced with the correct ones. Now I have an excuse to finally get a new outlet put in the front of the house to replace the bad one.
Many many thanks to all of you for all your help and well wishes. Love this forum and all its peeps!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have 2 GFI at pond so a GFI breaker I think could be overkill. The wiring needs to be redone. Too many splices that could go wrong plus the wiring is not protected by conduit for most of the distance. This is the cause of 2 splices, weed whacker and pole pruner! Got lucky with the pole pruner, 12-2 wire looks exactly like a raspberry cane!
But for right now just going to kick back and enjoy the holiday by NOT laboring! Hope everybody has a great day.

Ask a Question