Emergency Fish gulping at surface

Reaction score
Thanks Yes my pond hasn't had a chemical in over 8 years other than conditioner when topping off. I enclosed a picture of the fish its hard to tell but it seems to have dark streaks along its body blothy almost like its on inside of fish not on surface. Poor thing looks almost burned

Reaction score
20210901_125747.jpg

Reaction score
Darn its hard to see. Its mostly on heah and side towards tail. Its almost purplish black and some areas look redder. I'm really starting to think eighther I had an ammonia or nitrite spike from adding fish or its prazi burns. The dead fish and this one has almost like burn patches. Another thing I know I was feeding them a lot more than usual trying to get new fish to come up and eat because they could seem to figure out its safe. Possibly to much good to many fish caused a spike? I know I'm rambling but I'm just desperately looking for answers and what I should do next

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely. A sudden increase in the bioload (more fish) into a small pond plus lots of food can lead to an ammonia spike. Yes, a partial water exchange will lower the nitrite level. Salt? No. You will really mess up the water and salt doesn't belong in ponds anyway. I vote to continue what you are doing (water changes) if you think you overdosed the Prazi and don't have a bacterial or parasite problem.

Reaction score
I did a small water change earlier. I was afraid to do to much because we are also getting lots of rain from Ida. I actually meant salt dip were i would use some pond ware in container with salt for a few minutes but without knowing for sure the problem is be afraid to hurt him more. Thank you all for the help and well wishes. This poor little guy isn't nothing special to look at but he was born into my pond, he is also a fighter. I found him one day with a huge slice down the side of his head, didn't think he would make it but he healed up quickly . that was years ago

Reaction score
I do have another question if someone could help. As I said I stuck another fountain pump in the pond to increase oxygen, could to much be come a problem? And how long should I run it. When i do take it out could that shock them in anyway?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do have another question if someone could help. As I said I stuck another fountain pump in the pond to increase oxygen, could to much be come a problem? And how long should I run it. When i do take it out could that shock them in anyway?
no, too much oxygen won't hurt. I'd do a 30% water change, keeping the new the same temp as the old. Your fish should perk up if it's bad water params.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What so many do not seem to grasp is the smaller the pond the easier and more dangerous fluctuations in the water can be. something as simple as spraying some rose dust on plants close to the pond could be enough to give a sky high reading unsafe for anything in a small pond. if you can smell it it can and probably i getting into the water. Now im not saying that's what happened to you it's just a blanket statement. a very warm but cloudy day may not make much of a change to your pond but now have the clouds move aside all of a sudden and then temps sky rocket 30 degrees in an hour that's is going to stress pout your fish in a big way particularly if they are already a little stressed out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Keep the aeration going. I think Hurricane/Tropical Storm Ida will take care of a water change! Let's see how the pond is after the heavy rainfall. Actually, the rainfall is a blessing for your fish. Marsha, you have done well and your fish are in good hands.

Reaction score
Thanks. So far the first water change was as bout 50% today was a little then 25. Fish swimming around second pump discharge. I guess we will see what tomorrow bring. I will update.Thank you all again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Temp changes in a water change is important as well keep the temps similar if your pond is 80 degrees and you do a 150 gallon water change from the tap be it well or city and that water is 60 degrees thats can stress out the fish in a small pond . in my 12,000 gallons it is little more then a layer of temp the fish swim through around or do as they wish in that area

Reaction score
Hi everybody, unfortunately the little guy didn't make it. The 3 knew one are swimming around more towards the bottom 2 of my old one seem to stay were pump is discharging and my 1 old one which is black is somewhere, hard to spot. If I stop the second pump the 3 just swim off so not sure if its just because they like it or having problems. I'm at a loss at this point. I really messed up by them for going against my better judgement. I told my daughter before if I ever drop dead and she is left to take care of them never add chemical s to pond and what did I do! If it were the new fish honesty wouldn't feel so bad but I had those 2 guys for years. Anyways I tested water again only thing different is ph and kh which is expected due to all the rain. Nitrate is also different .

Ammonia still 0
Nitrite still 0
Ph now 7.8. Was 8.2
Kh now 6 drops was 8
Nitrate now 0 was 5.0

Reaction score
Any opinions on this? Looked at calendar and got a more detailed timeline, the new fish were added on the 20th, prazi added 7 days later, 5th day after prazi first old fish died now 2nd fish. Is it possible that there was ammonia spike then nitrite spike that went down and caused fish to die AFTER this? Then a nitrate spike that I noticed yesterday and went down today? I don't test nitrate regulary but when I do its always been zero. So I'm thinking something caused it to spike but not sure if a ammonia and nitrite spike is only thing to cause it. If this is possible I'm sure the prazi didn't help. Any thoughts

Reaction score
Something is still definitely off. I unplugged second pump I put in to see how they did and they are now under the hose discharge from uv filter. I can't stand seeing them like this. What about a full disease could the they of caught something from new fish. Would that have spread that quickly ? Wouldnt the new fish die first. What should I do they are definitely having trouble breathing and can't go on like this so at this point I'm willing to try medicating them in hospital tank. I can set up a pool with the extra pump and treat them in there instead of pond but I don't know what to treat them for first and what to use for it. I'm thinking a gill disease what should I use. Any advice were to start?

Last edited:

Ask a Question