Emergency Fish gulping at surface

Reaction score
I did a small water change earlier. I was afraid to do to much because we are also getting lots of rain from Ida. I actually meant salt dip were i would use some pond ware in container with salt for a few minutes but without knowing for sure the problem is be afraid to hurt him more. Thank you all for the help and well wishes. This poor little guy isn't nothing special to look at but he was born into my pond, he is also a fighter. I found him one day with a huge slice down the side of his head, didn't think he would make it but he healed up quickly . that was years ago

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I do have another question if someone could help. As I said I stuck another fountain pump in the pond to increase oxygen, could to much be come a problem? And how long should I run it. When i do take it out could that shock them in anyway?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do have another question if someone could help. As I said I stuck another fountain pump in the pond to increase oxygen, could to much be come a problem? And how long should I run it. When i do take it out could that shock them in anyway?
no, too much oxygen won't hurt. I'd do a 30% water change, keeping the new the same temp as the old. Your fish should perk up if it's bad water params.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What so many do not seem to grasp is the smaller the pond the easier and more dangerous fluctuations in the water can be. something as simple as spraying some rose dust on plants close to the pond could be enough to give a sky high reading unsafe for anything in a small pond. if you can smell it it can and probably i getting into the water. Now im not saying that's what happened to you it's just a blanket statement. a very warm but cloudy day may not make much of a change to your pond but now have the clouds move aside all of a sudden and then temps sky rocket 30 degrees in an hour that's is going to stress pout your fish in a big way particularly if they are already a little stressed out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Keep the aeration going. I think Hurricane/Tropical Storm Ida will take care of a water change! Let's see how the pond is after the heavy rainfall. Actually, the rainfall is a blessing for your fish. Marsha, you have done well and your fish are in good hands.

Reaction score
Thanks. So far the first water change was as bout 50% today was a little then 25. Fish swimming around second pump discharge. I guess we will see what tomorrow bring. I will update.Thank you all again

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Temp changes in a water change is important as well keep the temps similar if your pond is 80 degrees and you do a 150 gallon water change from the tap be it well or city and that water is 60 degrees thats can stress out the fish in a small pond . in my 12,000 gallons it is little more then a layer of temp the fish swim through around or do as they wish in that area

Reaction score
Hi everybody, unfortunately the little guy didn't make it. The 3 knew one are swimming around more towards the bottom 2 of my old one seem to stay were pump is discharging and my 1 old one which is black is somewhere, hard to spot. If I stop the second pump the 3 just swim off so not sure if its just because they like it or having problems. I'm at a loss at this point. I really messed up by them for going against my better judgement. I told my daughter before if I ever drop dead and she is left to take care of them never add chemical s to pond and what did I do! If it were the new fish honesty wouldn't feel so bad but I had those 2 guys for years. Anyways I tested water again only thing different is ph and kh which is expected due to all the rain. Nitrate is also different .

Ammonia still 0
Nitrite still 0
Ph now 7.8. Was 8.2
Kh now 6 drops was 8
Nitrate now 0 was 5.0

Reaction score
Any opinions on this? Looked at calendar and got a more detailed timeline, the new fish were added on the 20th, prazi added 7 days later, 5th day after prazi first old fish died now 2nd fish. Is it possible that there was ammonia spike then nitrite spike that went down and caused fish to die AFTER this? Then a nitrate spike that I noticed yesterday and went down today? I don't test nitrate regulary but when I do its always been zero. So I'm thinking something caused it to spike but not sure if a ammonia and nitrite spike is only thing to cause it. If this is possible I'm sure the prazi didn't help. Any thoughts

Reaction score
Something is still definitely off. I unplugged second pump I put in to see how they did and they are now under the hose discharge from uv filter. I can't stand seeing them like this. What about a full disease could the they of caught something from new fish. Would that have spread that quickly ? Wouldnt the new fish die first. What should I do they are definitely having trouble breathing and can't go on like this so at this point I'm willing to try medicating them in hospital tank. I can set up a pool with the extra pump and treat them in there instead of pond but I don't know what to treat them for first and what to use for it. I'm thinking a gill disease what should I use. Any advice were to start?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also if I do this should I drain half the water from pond into pool so they are used to it or just use fresh water.

Ad

Advertisements

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would say get as much aeration as possible going. Its possible the treatment damaged the gills. If you don't know what the actual problem is, you can't treat it! Have you treated your water changes for chlorine and chloramine? If shutting down the pump made things worse, get it running again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I am so sorry about your fish losses. I know how difficult it can be. I haven't read everything posted in detail, but be sparing of feeding the fish until things settle down, and definitely keep those pumps and aerators going. And deep breathing exercises (for you). You obviously care about your fishes' good health and sometimes, everything we can do isn't enough.

Reaction score
I found my black one and he clearly had fin rot on tail. Barely alive so instead of him suffering I put him down with clove oil. I made the disision to remove my 3 older with and put in hospital tank and started giving them erythromycin. I also notice my orange one seems to have a grayish film . after reading this I decided to try the antibiotic.

Bacterial Gill Disease​

Fish will scratch against objects and appear listless. A grayish film may form on the body. Rapid breathing in fish may be accompanied by gasping at the surface of the water, or the fish sitting on the bottom of the aquarium. Gills undergo severe damage,

I figured at this rate is loose them anyways doing nothing so nothing to loose.

Reaction score
Ok I just noticed one of my fish keeps flashing to rub on bottom or container like he is trying to scratch his side. Iv tryed looking for ich but he is mostly white but after my black one died I looked at him good and could almost swear he had salt looking specks but there weren't a lot so I could not be sure. I remember having a fish with it years ago in aquarium and it was really obvious this not so much. But know with this fish scraping bottom should I start treating for ich or wait. Problem is the fish I have left except one orange have a lot if white on them.I have api ich cure so should I treat them? I don't see anything on orange but could he have had them and they fell off . he is just sitting on bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Its not very common for koi to sit on the bottom of the pond . They are generaly alwYs swimming unless something is wrong

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Update: I hope I'm on the right track, right now they are being treated with api fin and body cure Doxycycline in a Rubbermaid hospital container. I think I already mentioned that I started with erythromycin but switched to Doxycycline. It is the second day on this and after moving all the bubbles on suface I could see my orange one that was just sitting on bottom now swimming around. As far as the other 5 I can see 4 swimming and the white one is very hard to see because the water is so clouded from medicine. The cloudyness has me worried because if there is as an ich outbreak I would never know it.

Ask a Question