empty pots in pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As I have been cleaning the pond I have been pulling out many, many plastic pots of all sizes ranging from real little to 3-4gallon. Did the previous owner put these in here on purpose as hiding spots? So far I have taken out about 20 empty or debris filled pots. There are Lillies that have totally escaped their pots too... should i try and take those pots up to clear more space for the koi? I read differing opinions on other webpages about "koi castles" and was going to ask the guy runs the koi shop two towns over when we go outt this weekend. There is tons of shade already, so that's not an issue. I just don't know why there would be so many empty pots. Any advice is appreciated.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's possible the koi have emptied the pots that held plants. I have my lilies in pots bare root with rocks holding down the plant and plastic netting on top and yet I still find empty pots! Koi love plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As I have been cleaning the pond I have been pulling out many, many plastic pots of all sizes ranging from real little to 3-4gallon. Did the previous owner put these in here on purpose as hiding spots? So far I have taken out about 20 empty or debris filled pots. There are Lillies that have totally escaped their pots too... should i try and take those pots up to clear more space for the koi? I read differing opinions on other webpages about "koi castles" and was going to ask the guy runs the koi shop two towns over when we go outt this weekend. There is tons of shade already, so that's not an issue. I just don't know why there would be so many empty pots. Any advice is appreciated.
It's possible the koi have emptied the pots that held plants. I have my lilies in pots bare root with rocks holding down the plant and plastic netting on top and yet I still find empty pots! Koi love plants!
I agree with mrschem koi love to eat the plant and its roots so this is most probably where your pots are coming from .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are already a bunch of plants. Right now our focus is just weeding and cleaning up whats already there. Too much on my plate to consider adding plants!! Although I do look forward to that eventually. Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question