Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Nope:(
This the line that is confusing me: Wp=.097+(.285x-.034)x899
Why is your result for (Pw-Pa) - .034 multiplied with the velocity result .285 before adding 0.97 to .285 as shown in the formula (0.97 + .038v). It's been a long time since I have had to deal with math formulas but I thought you complete the work inside each bracket before performing the other functions.

I thought it should be
(.097+.285) x (-.034) x 899
(.382)x(-.034) x 899

I was trying to figure out my ponds evaporation rate and ended with a negative number as I would using your numbers as discribed above.
Straighten me out what am I missing here?

My ponds numbers are
Air temp 92 f
Wind velocity 7 mph
Pond is 200 sf

Thanks

Sorry Gordo33, I got tied up with work.
I believe if you come up with a negative number from the Pw-Pa equation, at that point in time there is no evaporation occurring.
Once the air temperature drops down below 80F, you will have a positive number and evaporation will start to occur with a water temperature of 79F.

I may have made a mistake with my original calculations, I'll have to go over them again. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yikes, an iongen advocate!
TBH, we don't include IonGens in our regular ecosystem ponds, too easy for people to overdose the copper and kill everything. They're more like a last resort when gentler treatments aren't doing the trick. There are ponds that do well with one, they tend to be larger ponds with a recurring pea soup water problem.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
They're more like a last resort when gentler treatments aren't doing the trick.

Sadly, this is the prevailing mind-set of this hobby...that Pond Treatments are necessary, completely normal and.....safe. A belief that is easily dispelled with a little patience and prudent husbandry. Work with a pond, not against it!

Ask a Question