sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's over a bridge I built and has 4x4's holding it up and on the top is 1x4's under and metal beams on top .At the time I did not want the metal to show so I put the beams above the 1x4'sI may have to expand the top .I had not expected a wisteria for here ,I have no clue where and why it grew here must have been a bird transplant .My fault I thought it was pretty and left it grow .

Attachments

• house 2011 spring 022.JPG
    house 2011 spring 022.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 308
  • house 2011 spring 023.JPG
    house 2011 spring 023.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 288
  • house 2011 spring 048.JPG
    house 2011 spring 048.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 254
  • house 2011 spring 029.JPG
    house 2011 spring 029.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 366
  • house 2011 spring 033.JPG
    house 2011 spring 033.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 294
  • house 2011 spring 032.JPG
    house 2011 spring 032.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 253

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been debating whether to get rid of my grape vines and replace with wisteria. The grape vines have become very messy the last couple of years.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The Wisteria looks very nice there sissy and you've done a nice job on the landscaping of your property. Cute ideas and great skill in building things. Love the bridges, birdy house and watering can idea's.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thank you jw my mind keeps going and I keep building and the passion flower was supposed to grow on it .I had wood left over from my 2 decks off the back of the house and came up with this .I could not waste those scraps and pieces .Seem everything has a use .The wood from some of my things is from the scrap pile at Max Kendall Lumber Mill and they put it out for free .I take what I can use and some I burn .I love free

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wisteria can really become a monster if you don't keep it pruned fishin and if it's near your house it can rip the house gutters, roof, etc. right off (this is what the garden guy on the radio always jokes about).
He prunes his several times each year and has it growing over his patio arbor.

Ciscoe's To-do List: Unreined wisteria can raise the roof
By CISCOE MORRIS
SPECIAL TO THE SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
Prune to make your wisteria flower (and save your roof).
There should be an ancient proverb warning that only a dim-dim would plant wisteria within a block of one's house unless you love to work hard. The tendrils can grow 25 feet in one season, and they have an affinity for snaking under and ripping off roof shingles and rain gutters. To prevent damage to your house and to encourage flowering, prune the tendrils to about 4 inches from the main structural vines when they grow beyond a foot long. This is a form of spur pruning. It encourages flower buds to form by concentrating all of the energy that would have been used to grow the long tendril into a 4-inch stub. While you are at it, you may as well construct a shed under the wisteria to store your ladder, because within only a few weeks, new tendrils will begin to grow and you'll be climbing up to do it all again.
Ciscoe Morris, a King County Master Gardener, regularly gives gardening advice on radio and television. His Web site is www.ciscoe.com.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah the excessive growth would be great to get a good covering quickly but maintaining it would be rather challenging. It would be growing on my arbor that is off the back of my house. Will have to think this one through.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry I called ya fishin tmann. Knew it was you just having a brain fart :LOL:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh and the steel beams were left over from the double steel frame I have under my house ,they said they ordered to many and hope these were extra's .House hasn't fallen down yet .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh I prune the tendrils every 3 months or so and it seems to keep it under control as it has been there 6 years now .I have to get the ladder out to prune the top but right now there are 4 bird nests in it and a humming bird nest hanging off one of the branches .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have one out by our back field fence, a long way from the house, it is just sort of growing, but we are darn dry again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep
I read up on them ........... after I picked up this one on sale..........so it got sent to the back yard far from the house.

Ask a Question