feeding goldfish

Reaction score
i think they are spawning a year old is all it takes for them to be able to breed, and thanks koiguy i will look into it but my name it talal not tatal lool

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Addy, I think they are spawning or maybe just practicing for the real thing. They only have to be a year old or so to spawn I have read :fish:

Well the two of them were having a good time in the plants the orange one constantly chasing the fat white one, kept bumping into it too. so maybe I will end up with more than 5 fish lol
Now haven't seen them since.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Only the two? Have you seen any of the other three at all? Which pond are they in Addy, you got so many it's hard to keep up with....LOL I was thinking the big one, if so your likely to have a whole collection in a few weeks. Sounds like they were,usually they need to be between one and two years old. Once they start chasing I notice most of the school of goldies will get in the chase but it's two or three breeding and the rest eating! When only two are doing the breeding it seems for some reason more eggs go unnoticed and survive.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol fishin, this is in the 10k pond. We did not get it stocked last year, except for five fish, that I honestly thought had died. Saw them once this year, all five, about a month ago. Recently only have seen these two chasing each other. So no clue what is in the pond or where they hide. There is plenty of space for the eggs to hide and survive lol.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
uh oh addys going to be grandma to a whole brood of little fishies .By the end of summer she will have 200 grandfishies:lol::lol::lol::lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
we will see if they ever show their fins lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They will I have goldies that have babes all the time and thats the ones I give away a lot .Goldies breed more than koi do .I have 3 neighbors that either had a pond or now have a pond because I had babes they got free fish

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My arizona pond balanced itself out, Been up and running for 10 yrs or so if not more and it has never gotten overstocked, I have never had to cull any. They must eat the eggs, babies

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
They are notorious egg eaters, the more fish in the pond the more they eat the eggs. With you being way under stocked in a very oversize pond, You may not have to do much restocking, They might just be doing the restocking for you. Hope your already done draining it down for this year.....

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I've watched my fish, both koi, and goldies. as the spawn goes on,the ones who arent actually "doing it", arrive at each deposit point as quick as the female can deposit the aggs, they are there to gobble them up. thats why they have to lay 10s of 1000s of eggs just to get 20 survivors without our intervention!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koiguy1969 said:
I've watched my fish, both koi, and goldies. as the spawn goes on,the ones who arent actually "doing it", arrive at each deposit point as quick as the female can deposit the aggs, they are there to gobble them up. thats why they have to lay 10s of 1000s of eggs just to get 20 survivors without our intervention!

Looks like a herd of lawyers chasing ambulances huh? LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
They are notorious egg eaters, the more fish in the pond the more they eat the eggs. With you being way under stocked in a very oversize pond, You may not have to do much restocking, They might just be doing the restocking for you. Hope your already done draining it down for this year.....

We have it ready and waiting for fish, been putting in plants etc. Have been doing some extra filtering i.e. quilt batting due to the fine dirt that came off the pea gravel. We never had our good pump running last year, when we fired it up some of the real fine dirt came out. Made the pond like a glacier river, very fine particles.

Zero algae so far. Temp bouncing a little with our temp swings we are having. So still not going to add any fish for another month or so. by that time might see if we do have babies lol 70 (air temp) a day ago now 50 and bad storms but makes the flowers grow. Pond sitting at 56, it did climb above 60 for a few days.

Ask a Question