Feeding small koi

Reaction score
I purchased 7 small koi (3 to 4 in) today and put them in my 50 gal tank on the screen porch to grow them out. The pool is well aerated and planted. Well, they disappeared and have yet to be seen except on the bottom under the plants. I figure that they are shy in their new environment. When and how much and what kind of food should I try and feed them. The pool is also filtered. This is only temporary until my new pool (approx 10ft X 20 ft) is completed in a few months.

medxam

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I did the same thing in a 30g aquarium. From what I've seen, they are afraid to come up for 1-3 weeks in a new pond. Eventually, greed will get the better of them, just give it a few days to a week, then try a small amount of floating food.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Well, after a week and a half, plus adding a few gold fish to show them how to do it, it is now a feeding frenzy, twice a day in my pond. Also, my only water lily bloomed. Can't wait for construction of the big new pond to begin. Thanks everyone.

medxam

retiredusaf

retiredusaf
Reaction score
medxam said:
Thanks for the advice. Well, after a week and a half, plus adding a few gold fish to show them how to do it, it is now a feeding frenzy, twice a day in my pond. Also, my only water lily bloomed. Can't wait for construction of the big new pond to begin. Thanks everyone.

medxam

I think you will love your new pond as I have mine. Suggest if you do not have any shade for the pond already that you consider planting a lesser shedding tree such as Yaupon Holly to provide some shade and I know your builder will add ledges and hiding places for the fish. See my album pictures if interested.

Attachments

• Backyard Landscaping on July 31, 2010 (3).jpg
    Backyard Landscaping on July 31, 2010 (3).jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 436
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments! My small Koi are feedinG well and growing in my small pond and my great-granddaughter feeds them everyday with me. They are growing! I got these from PetSmart just to see what they would do. Except for the one that jumped out and died, they are fine. It is hard to pick colors in small Koi, but I have 2 that are developing a nice yellow color.

Hopefully in about a month, they will go into my new 'BIG" pond which is under construction.

Many thanks,

medxam

Reaction score
it's normal for the koi with new pond. Try to stop feeding them for 3-4 days.
when they're hungry they 'll up and eat the food.

Ask a Question