Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer Jordan submitted a new article:

UVB----Effect on Aquatic Biota - Effect of UVB radiation on aquatic biota

UVB

Effects on Aquatic Biota

Ultraviolet radiation (UVR) accounts for about 7% of the radiation emitted by the sun.

The Solar radiation spectrum contains ultraviolet radiation which is broken down into ultraviolet C (UVC, 100-280 nm) 60%, ultraviolet B (UVB, 280-315 nm) 12%, and ultraviolet A (UVA, 315-400 nm) 28% ultraviolet radiation. As the most energetic UVC wavelengths are absorbed by stratospheric ozone in the upper atmosphere, UVB is the highest...

Read more about this article...

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Informative and interesting article, Meyer. Thanks

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
An excellent article explaining why you should NOT have "gin clear" water for your pond.
-
It would be OK if you had Rainbow Trout of any other naturally top feeding fish, they have genetically adapted. Mid-level feeders like Goldfish and especially bottom feeders like Carp (who also prefer turbid water high in DOC), are not equipped to handle UVB radiation on a permanent basis.
A lot of what people interpret as Hiding is just that, but not from predation but sunlight.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Thanks. I've been considering not using my clarifier (UV) since I'll have enough shade to help with the algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
dayum, I missed it! Looked like something about Russian ponding from Putin I bet...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
dayum, I missed it! Looked like something about Russian ponding from Putin I bet...

Biden and Putin had a side convo about maximum growth rate of koi at their summit. Putin believes it's 6', but that's because his fish come from Chernobyl and are on a steroid regimen. This is unofficial, though, because they kicked the stenographers out of the meeting. Rumor has it that Biden's late dog, Champ, once ate a koi straight out of a river in Japan.

Edit: There was also a heated argument about whether bogs or bakki showers are the best bio filter, and they agreed to revisit the topic in 2022 on the condition that Russia returns Crimea to Ukraine.

Ask a Question