water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
cr8tivguy said:
This weekend, I'm pulling the boulders off around the pond and looking for the water leak. I have a couple really good ideas where the water is "winning" and think it can be easily corrected. Then it's on to the bog!

OH, I got this really cool product called Rock-on-Roll. Has anyone used it before? It looks like rock and goes over the rubber liner. It helps hide the liner without having to stack boulders/rocks around your pond. Would love to hear your feedback on it if you have used it. Thanks
I used it for the liner in parts of my stream coming down the steep slope. No way to stack rocks to cover the liner. It works great.
Make sure your edges are hidden (the cut edge) or make a ragged cut, nature does not have straight cuts. They make brown or gray, pick the color that goes with the rocks you have around.

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Okay, tomorrow i'm tackling the liner issue and hopefully will resolve the water level issue. I have some heavy duty silicone caulk I plan to use to reinforce the folds along the top edge of the liner.

Hopefully, the issue is located in one of the three areas I suspect are the culprits. Then on to the bog and waterfall. I really hope to have my pond at full capacity and cycling by Monday evening. GOAL: Fish by the 4th of July!

I really can't thank you all enough for the input. I'm so happy I found this forum. It's sort of turned into my fish Facebook!
Tim

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I look for dampness, or wetter than everything else, when looking for a leak. Every now and then my stream causes issues, darn ground hog climbs the stream moves rocks around, which will block the flow. I wander the stream looking for something wet.

I really like the pl roofing goop for fixing my pond issues, sticks well and lasts, some of it is on its third winter and doing fine.

When you start adding fish, do it slow. Some mistake of doing a full stock job then fight all sort of water issues.

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Quick update folks. I found the leaky area. It was a fold that had slipped down below the water line. I adjusted it with a little extra soil behind the liner and some roofing caulk (just to make sure it's all nice and water tight. AND THE WATER LEVEL IS STAYING PUT!

I also built my little bog area and waterfall basin. I'm pretty darn pleased. I'm loading the photos to my profile area (if I can figure it out).
Tim

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah! congrats! yippee love it when you find the leak and it is easy fixable!

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
No kidding addy1. I was really relieved. It also gave me the opportunity to install the Rock-on-a-Roll that hides the rubber liner nicely. Its' funny. I could dink around with rock placement all summer if I let myself do it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
cr8tivguy said:
No kidding addy1. I was really relieved. It also gave me the opportunity to install the Rock-on-a-Roll that hides the rubber liner nicely. Its' funny. I could dink around with rock placement all summer if I let myself do it.

Dink away.............part of the fun

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
QUICK UPDATE:
I found the fold that caused the water leak. It's now fixed. Then, I jacked around with my waterfall and created another leak (which is now fixed).

I checked this morning and I only lost about 1/4 inch of water and it was 90+ degrees yesterday.

The water is testing perfectly. No traces of ammonia/Nitrogen or Nitrates and the PH is "ideal".

The electrician is at my house right now installing the power to the shed-which means I get to set up my big pump, lights and bio filter.

I added 3 1-inch Comets and 2 3-inch Koi yesterday (I broke down and couldn't wait). I figured they are small enough that the water levels won't get all jacked up. They were happily swimming around this morning, exploring the various hiding spots. I think they ate all my duckweed though (I haven't started feeding them yet).

Pictures to come!

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Update: Got my lilies installed (found a grower/seller in Omaha!) they are nice and established specimens.

I also installed my pond light. It looks so cool at night- the pond glows and the fish swim through the lighted part. I was up until 1 am watching the fish and the pond (could be a bad habit to get into).

Today, I'm going to get the big bio filter up and running. Just need to find the correct diameter hose.

Funny story: I bought some hose on line and the damn stuff came and it's the diameter of a pop can! I totally screwed up. Then I went to Lowes and bought some hose- It's too small!

Fish update: All are doing great. They are already coming to the surface when they see me-probably because I'm underfeeding them and they want food. (Pavlov's theory is sound).

Water condition update: Had a minor Ammonia spike about 30 minutes after I fed them yesterday morning. I left it alone. Last night after work, the water was corrected. So I think it's pretty stabile. I did order a liquid test kit. I'm eager to learn more about the testing and water maintenance aspect of pond keeping.

Ask a Question