Filling a large pond with water costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am renovating a large pond and have a question about water supply. The volume of water will be 400,000 litres and I would like to know the best way to fill it. If I use the mains I will get charged for sewerage, but that will probably be cheaper than getting it delivered. Has anyone got advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am renovating a large pond and have a question about water supply. The volume of water will be 400,000 litres and I would like to know the best way to fill it. If I use the mains I will get charged for sewerage, but that will probably be cheaper than getting it delivered. Has anyone got advice?
hi bobby taken from ofwats site there is more on there hope this helps

Reducing your surface water drainage charges​

Rebates for non-connection​

If no surface water from your property enters a public sewer then you may qualify for a reduction in your sewerage charge (‘surface water drainage rebate’).
Companies do not know the surface water drainage arrangements of all the individual properties in its area. This means that you usually need to make an application for a rebate.
You should apply to your company providing evidence that none of your surface water enters the public sewer. Your company should explain the kind of evidence that it would need to see. They will check whether you qualify and if you do:
  • you will not be charged for surface water drainage on future bills
  • some of the amount you paid previously may be refunded
Sometimes your company does know, or might reasonably be expected to have known, that your property was not connected to its sewerage system for surface water drainage. In this case we would expect it to apply the rebate (and refund any money overpaid) from the date at which it knew (or might reasonably be expected to have known) the property was not connected.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome-pioneer gif.gif
@bobbyf

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Check with your water provider. When I filled my pond (much smaller!) I contacted the utility and said I was filling a swimming pool. They have an exemption for pools and lawn (garden) watering where they don't charge for sewer. I think they just forgot about that month and charged me some sort of average for normal months.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
RAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 400,000 LITERS IS 105,668 GALLONS AT 300 DOLLARS FOR 6,000 GALLONS HERE IN THE NORTH EAST THATS GOING TO ADD UP I'LL REPEAT RAINNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey of course @GBBUDD they can collect rain also in barrels if allowed to do so there. I think they get plenty of it there too! Great idea! Some use gutter water that flows off the roofs too. Can keep doing that too for refills for the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
100000 gallons ÷6000 which is a standard tanker. At $300 a truck that's $5000.00 I'm not over a patient kinda guy but I would wait on the rains
Not going to dump 5k on water that could see rains a few days after filling and over flow . Watch your money drift down stream

Ask a Question