Filter ?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone
I am new to having a pond, I just moved into a house that already has one and have been doing some work to it .. looks pretty good but there is a little bit of algae on the bottom and sides and would like it a bit clearer so u can see fish easier, I have a pump with small filter, I was considering making one ? Has anyone done this and does it work well ? This is a small pond only 1200litres and has 8 small goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Before you make a filter. Which you can. It’s your pond do what you want.
But what I would check first. Is if there are leaves a stuff in the pond. Leaves and stuff have tannins in them which can turn the water into tea. It can make the water really dark kinda black.
Check that first.

my other question is what kind of filter do you have now?
Can you add remove and clean filter pads/media?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do you have pics of the pond? Makes it easier to help. Is the pond murky because of green free floating algae or muddy water.

A little bit of algae on the sides and bottom is a good thing. Helps maintain water quality and the base of the ponds food web.

Proper circulation (roughly 2x pond volume per hour) and more plants to consume the nutrients will get rid of the green water. Making sure there is no runoff going into the pond, not letting leaves and plant matter settle and decay at the bottom will also help with murky water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi there joyy, it is very easy to build a filter system . i have built many over the years for myself and friends for your size pond i would recommend .a 30 gal container. you can look on craigs list and find one make sure its not used with chemicals, most that size are used for juice etc.etc. all you will need is some pvc from any store, glue. next your gonna need some media. anything from lava rock to bio balls sponges will work and a host of other media. make sure to put the media in clean sport bags so to make it easy to clean, get it up and running and bacteria. it will take about 4 weeks to get a the germs working. you gotta feed the fish to do this but feed little , get a water tester and watch the ammonia close..it will rise cut back on food till the readings are 0...there are many pond filters ideas on the tube... the uv lite will give you clear water place it before the filter so to catch all dead algae . hope this helps mike

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The fish will clean that off if not fed often and besides that is good stuff .I guess it is up to you on what you can find to build a filter where you live and how much you want to spend and how much you feed your fish

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Do you have pics of the pond? Makes it easier to help. Is the pond murky because of green free floating algae or muddy water.

A little bit of algae on the sides and bottom is a good thing. Helps maintain water quality and the base of the ponds food web.

Proper circulation (roughly 2x pond volume per hour) and more plants to consume the nutrients will get rid of the green water. Making sure there is no runoff going into the pond, not letting leaves and plant matter settle and decay at the bottom will also help with murky water.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The water isn’t horrible I can see the bottom but there is some thick algae on the very bottom is this ok ? Or would filter be better

Attachments

• 4EF46F67-9D1A-4A56-B2B5-7F8E04AEBD0C.jpeg
    4EF46F67-9D1A-4A56-B2B5-7F8E04AEBD0C.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 118
  • FEBBE03C-237F-46E7-BABE-0AF5BFC20A30.jpeg
    FEBBE03C-237F-46E7-BABE-0AF5BFC20A30.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your water looks great! As others have said - algae is a MUST in a healthy pond. OVERGROWTH of algae is a symptom of an excess of nutrients in the water. That's a problem you address by either: 1. clearing the pond of organic material that's decaying and feeding algae 2. reducing the amount you feed your fish 3. adding more plants to the pond or 4. (and the hardest one for most of us!) reduce your fish load. Adding more plants can help tremendously as they will eat up the nutrients that would otherwise create an over abundance of algae. Plus it's pretty!

Filtration is important in a pond - algae does it's part in that cycle! "Too much algae" would be water that's thick and green (think pea soup) or string algae so thick you can pull it out by the armful. Anything growing on the liner or rocks is the good stuff. If you have algae in the bottom of the pond that you can scoop out, go ahead and scoop it. Toss it in your garden - it's great stuff!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Your water looks great! As others have said - algae is a MUST in a healthy pond. OVERGROWTH of algae is a symptom of an excess of nutrients in the water. That's a problem you address by either: 1. clearing the pond of organic material that's decaying and feeding algae 2. reducing the amount you feed your fish 3. adding more plants to the pond or 4. (and the hardest one for most of us!) reduce your fish load. Adding more plants can help tremendously as they will eat up the nutrients that would otherwise create an over abundance of algae. Plus it's pretty!

Filtration is important in a pond - algae does it's part in that cycle! "Too much algae" would be water that's thick and green (think pea soup) or string algae so thick you can pull it out by the armful. Anything growing on the liner or rocks is the good stuff. If you have algae in the bottom of the pond that you can scoop out, go ahead and scoop it. Toss it in your garden - it's great stuff!
Thank you ! Sounds like I am on the right track ! It’s only down the bottom of the pond and will definitely be adding more plants looks good

Reaction score
Country
United States
So The reason I asked about what type of filtration you have. is because I wanna know. if you can change your media or not? if you can change your media out or you filter pads.
try adding some carbon. carbon will make your water crystal clear if it’s just a little bit tinted

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So The reason I asked about what type of filtration you have. is because I wanna know. if you can change your media or not? if you can change your media out or you filter pads.
try adding some carbon. carbon will make your water crystal clear if it’s just a little bit tinted
I have a pump with filter pads inside,
Thank you I’ll have a look and see if I can change it

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pump with filter pads inside,
Thank you I’ll have a look and see if I can change it

I run 3. 1 micron filter pads. 1 fine pad . 1 medium pad. 1 corse pad. 1 carbon pad, and 500 bioballs.
My water turned black from the leaves. I put carbon in my filter. like I used to run in my fish tanks,and it cleared it up within a week.
But like other said from the pictures your water looks pretty clear. some people don’t like their water water to be crystal clear. Helps fish to hide. I’ve always kept fishtanks this is my first pond I like having my water crystal clear.

Ask a Question