Final pump

Reaction score
That sounds really good, but a little ambitious, the 1 pump 1 purpose methodology is so easy I'm trying to focus on that style right now, but I might do some research into the wattages of pumps and see how out of whack I am doing it this way.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My pump splits into 4 different outlets. My filter, bog, large creek and small creek. I can adjust the flow to each one. It does take some planning out and this may be something you just put off into the future. My pump is an external, pumps 7200gph and maybe cost me between $20-$30/month to run, is also very quiet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always keep 2 pumps in my pond because of the you never know .I don't want 1 pump going out and then doing the mad rush to find another one ,that can be a nightmare .Did that with my first pond and never going to put myself through that again

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Going on 8 years with the same pump and no problems. Now if it were to just quit I do have a backup plan to get the water circulating with a sump pump I could use for a short amount of time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hate to say this tmann but i don't think they make pumps to last now like they used too .I think all the new energy efficient stuff takes it's toll on pumps .I have one also that is 8 years old and just a cheap harbor freight one and it was 22 dollars but only 450 gph .

Reaction score
That's the best part about my system, if one pump fails, I've got X number of pumps still going, and a short trip to home depot is all that is required to get back to 100%, but I do know at some point I will probably need to get more sophisticated with my plumbing.

Reaction score
You know what I can always do to save money if the pumps are showing up on my electric bill? Kill all of my goldfish and get rid of the 900gph pump that is taking care of their little pond? Pretty cold I know, but it's always a plan B. But yeah, I've had water in the new pond for 2 weeks, I don't know if we've gotten our electric bill yet, I will check, I'm not too terribly worried about it.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You know what I can always do to save money if the pumps are showing up on my electric bill? Kill all of my goldfish and get rid of the 900gph pump that is taking care of their little pond? Pretty cold I know, but it's always a plan B. But yeah, I've had water in the new pond for 2 weeks, I don't know if we've gotten our electric bill yet, I will check, I'm not too terribly worried about it.
Might as well kill the koi too, rip the pond up, and invest the money you'll save in the stock market! All your problems solved!!!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
invest in stock market these days ,you nuts haro or been sniffing the flowers again .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Extra money is now considered under the same heading as The Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well all I know is I'm first in line if haro is giving out extra money :razz:

Reaction score
The next size up pump was only $10 extra and it's double the volume. I swapped out one pump and put the new one in and my waterfall immediately went back to niagra falls mode. It's a gorgeous sheet of water flowing over the rock in a perfect arc. I was then able to mess around with the frog pond and probably doubled the water flow to it which should be a really good thing over all since it crashes down on lots of rocks there and feeds some plants. I've got no complaints, and now I have an extra pump, I can use it for my UV clarifier when I need that, and keep it as an emergency backup in case something horrible happens.

Although, I think my "experiment" of using storebought filters is officially over in the goldfish pond. The filter box fills with air somehow, and the pump eventually stops pumping because of air pressure. So I have to shut off the pump and peel up the filter to release the air. Then once I plug the pump back in it works great for a couple of days. I swear I have to release the air more often than I have to clean off algae. Is that mind boggling or is it just me? Anyway, I might put the 900gph pump back in my custom filter box and either rebuild my old waterfall or build something new with one of my liner remnants. It's total overkill to put a 900gph pump into a 200 gallon pond, but the current setup is annoying.

Ask a Question