Finally 8x11 Aquascape kit arrived

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Starting digging again now that I know how it all goes together. Digging skimmer hole. Eight inches of red clay then rocks and clay. But it looked so easy in videos!
Some pictures of progress so far. Since hitting water I will now be using concrete and the store bought rocks to build a 3 stone high wall so I don’t need to keep digging a well. Will be putting a pipe with holes etc under liner and under-layment so the water can escape or a later sump pump can be added if necessary.

Attachments

• 0C8C4F01-B5BD-44D9-9CDD-56BA91561D07.jpeg
    0C8C4F01-B5BD-44D9-9CDD-56BA91561D07.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 411
  • E9CA20D7-C0B3-4A71-858A-DF4CB7D357AE.jpeg
    E9CA20D7-C0B3-4A71-858A-DF4CB7D357AE.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 396
  • 2B3E36B8-DD5E-41BE-BFB3-B5C7F96A2AE8.jpeg
    2B3E36B8-DD5E-41BE-BFB3-B5C7F96A2AE8.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 437
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
It is so hot, sun shade really helps. Seriously though, what was I thinking. This is real work. Hope my pond critters appreciate all this work. Curse those videos and clay. Buying aquariums is so easy in comparison.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ha! All that hard work will pay off - and you'll forget all about it when you're sitting and gazing into the crystal clear water watching your favorite fish dart to and fro...

Go easy - it's a marathon, not a sprint. And if you kill yourself building it, someone else will be enjoying it! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yes, take your time. Take lots of breaks and stay hydrated! I'm in GA and digging in the summer is not for the faint of heart. I started digging mine in August (how dumb was that?) two years ago and thought I'd never get done! (I think I didn't finish till March of the next year.). You will be so thrilled when it's all up and running. One more word to the wise -- my Dad just finished a small pondless waterfall with rocks and such. He kept calling and sending pictures and being all discouraged. "It doesn't look right." Just know it will look kind of "meh" till it's all done -- then it will look good and when everything grows, it will look great. Ponds in progress take a lot of faith in knowing the finished product will be wonderful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just know it will look kind of "meh" till it's all done

Oh my gosh - that's so true! I went to bed many a night thinking "WHAT did we do? How will we ever have a decent looking yard again?" It was such a mess and we seemed to run up against a new challenge every single day. Very stressful! That's another thing you forget about when it's all done, but it's very real in the process. Keep the vision in your mind and keep moving forward!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Thanks for all the encouragement. Definitely needed here. I look at all the piles of dirt and realize I have moved each pile a couple times and they are still there. Tonight going to Lowe’s for more rocks, a pick and concrete.
Wishing I had more room for a bigger bog. The biofilter/waterfall better do its job our else it gets replaced with more bog. You guys have taught me their incredible value to a healthy pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You guys have taught me their incredible value to a healthy pond.
When I started my pond build I was told by a lot the pond would never survive with just a bog. I would never do it another way again. Bogs are wonderful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the pictures. It's going to feel great when it's finished, get your shovel dipped in copper when you're done digging, and keep it beside the pond, as a trophy for all your hard work. I'm seriously thinking of doing the same.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Coming along nicely. If I may ask is there a plan for a fish cave?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Planning on a fish cave and ledges that fish can hid under. But for now, I am deep in the dirt
that's why I asked it's pretty easy to dig a slot into the layers and place a flat rock over the slot once the liner is in to create a fish cave and it looks more natural then a pipe surrounded by rock

Ask a Question