Finally a "proper" pond!

Reaction score
I've had this 8 gallon container sitting around outside for a month or two, and it just looked so sad...so...empty. I had a couple of aquarium plants in there, just to see how they do (mixed reviews so far), but today, I took the plunge and got $30 worth of plants. WOW that was worth it! I've got a tiny solar water pump, and while it's no Niagara falls, it does it's job of keeping the water non-stagnant adorably well. $17 to China well spent, in my opinion. I put it in a yogurt cup, with a sponge and some gravel to A) not get clogged up and B) do at least a little bit of filtering.

So equipment:
-1 40 gph solar water pump
- 8 gallon container

Flora:
the ones you can see: mini cattail, water hyacinth, a pretty pink-lavender water iris, creeping jenny
Ones you can't see: java fern, A. renekii, ludwigia glandulosa, baby sword plant, willow hygro, 2 types of lillies, iffy if those will make it

Fish:
planning on adding a pair of male feeder guppies, they've colored up really really well, and I owe them a nice big home after keeping them in a too-small bowl

P1030760.jpg

P1030762.jpg

P1030761.jpg

and one of the future inhabitants:
P10305972.jpg

Thoughts? Advice? Funny jokes?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice, those fish for sure will love it.

Reaction score
How long should I wait to add the fish, since I just added the plants, or does it matter? From what I can tell, readings seem great for the guppies, but it's just been one day.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I like the little pond but in time your going to seriously out grow that little container. Malle guppy would be a good choice for size and mosguito control but they are a tropical species so would need to be brought in for the winter or when temps dropped beloe 65 degrees. You might want to look into white clouds. they like cooler water, will show up as well if not better than male guppies and they get about the same size. two or three in that size container will be fine.

Reaction score
I would've gone white clouds, but the only ones I could get my hands on were mostly dead and dying. The guppies I've got a very close to the wild type, and as far as I can tell, quite hardy. They've thrived in 65 degree water. I've had my pair of males for a couple months now, they've grown, but as still only about 1 inch long. Pretty though, and I don't mind not being able to see them as much, since I already know what they look like. I'm not really worried about bringing them in, that would be easy enough.

This is probably about as big as I can get. I live in an apartment, probably going to be moving in a couple years, so I'm trying to not do anything too permanent so I can move it easier when I do move.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good planning, that is a great set up you have and very nice for where you live.

Ask a Question