fines filter upgrade

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I never had any sox, My thought was to have a place for my pillow stuffing on the top to take out the fine stuff
then let the water trickle down through the trays

Reaction score
I like the idea.... Ive got the fishmate pressure canister and am not happy with the price and results. No joke, i am using 1 7in filter sock and getting better results. Are you spacing for air/gas exchange?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You bet each tray drips water 4 1/2" into the next one

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Do you think you will need a small fan to introduce new air into the barrel ?

I used a somewhat similar setup to this on my formal pond at the previous place. I had trays with quilt batting under coco mats in two trays with holes drilled in the bottom. They trays sat on top an acrylic box filled with bio balls. The 2K gph pump had an intake manifold with 4 or 5 tetra G pond sponges on the input.

The down side was cleaning the sponges and the filter floss every day. Luckily I someone to do that for me most days but that is another story.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with your filter, should be great but I would put a up flow barrel filter or a settling filter or something ahead of it to reduce the need to clean the filter floss. Something you can clean by flushing or back flushing Maybe you are doing that and I missed it.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
HT I just change it when it gets funky
Lots of air space to work with in the barrel

Reaction score
I think it is a great idea, i havent seen any back flow system work good anyways. Better off just pulling it apart and cleaning it. Like i said, pressure canisters are a joke, you can back flow your whole pond out and the filter will still be dirty. Please post pictures of it in action!

Ask a Question