Firestone liner, how do you work the edge without rocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I braved the cold rain and took a shot of the burlap and sand edge. It's been in place for 3 2weeks now and looks much better, at least until I get to the landscaping of this area. So here's before and after. Being temporary, I wanted a cheap and easy fix. The coarse burlap holds the sand in place really well!

View attachment 98656
That's a huge difference, I'd be very satisfied with that edge. Very natural. Thank you very much for taking the picture, I wish it was still cold here, but it's been a hot spring day for me. Hey do you have the excess liner buried? I can't tell for sure. I will have to look at that rock n roll stuff, I think thats the same concept, but shouldnt degrade like the tarp. Again thanks, ouida

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I have the EPDM buried under the grass for 12-16", sloping slightly away from the pond, so it drains that way. I'm not sure yet how I'll finish it, I've been working my way down from the top of my ponds/stream, doing rockwork, etc. and haven't gotten to the edges of the lower pond. But, I couldn't stand looking at the rubber edges. I used cheap burlap under the sand, which will last 6 months or so before rotting away. By then, I'll have finished things and won't need it. I have to say, it sure looks a lot better this way though!

We've had a colder and wetter spring this year, than the past 4 years. Everyone's is complaining as we normally have some weather like this, 30s at night 40s and 50s in the day, but also get lots of blue skies and 60-75 by this late in the year. It isn't the greatest weather to get enthusiastic about landscaping!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Sadly I live in swamp land, when I got the beach pebbles in my 3 kids looked at every rock, you just don't see that around here. Lol. Told hubby time to take a rock collection trip. Kids would probably love to dig up some real rocks.
yes u may do a trip to some barren land or hilly place nearby , even in any place if u travel some distance u will find rocks along the sides somewhere , i collected tons of rocks my self and as cas suggested i took some from construction sites , when they bring sand for mixing cement or dumping on ground , it has rocks , usualy they throw it out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I braved the cold rain and took a shot of the burlap and sand edge. It's been in place for 3 2weeks now and looks much better, at least until I get to the landscaping of this area. So here's before and after. Being temporary, I wanted a cheap and easy fix. The coarse burlap holds the sand in place really well!

View attachment 98656
very nice sir , it looks like natural mud pond edge , i loved this idea

Reaction score
Yep I don't get it, seems like a miss opportunity for someone. Never thought the hardest part of my pond would be rocks. Lol. I don't understand the ones saying they bury the liner with a lip or bumb sticking up, you can't really plant on top of a few inches of dirt?
You can call a quarry directly. We have lots of rock locally, but it's still cheaper for me to buy direct from the quarry which is 4 hours away. You have to buy a fair amount, like 8 pallets, about 16 tons.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I used paving stones, landscape edging and small bagged rock to edge mine. There is a great rock place right over the state line in MS. Almost all the rock I have I got from them.
I also made pouches to hold the rocks on some of my steeper sides, I got the idea from sissy and made them out of window screen.
You can see my pond if you click my showcase link below. Welcome from South MS
I'm heading to NOLA this weekend, want rocks? Lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just wanted to address something you said in your original post -

It's so thick and on here, u guys clearly say don't cut it.

You can DEFINITELY trim away excess liner. You want to leave enough so you can do whatever type of edge treatment you settle on but too much liner will be a total pain to work with and try to conceal.

Also remember you can use more than one style of edge finish. Rock, wood, turf, mulch, plants... all can be used effectively to hide liner. Here's a nice video the Ponddigger did to demonstrate different pond edging techniques:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Than
I just wanted to address something you said in your original post -

You can DEFINITELY trim away excess liner. You want to leave enough so you can do whatever type of edge treatment you settle on but too much liner will be a total pain to work with and try to conceal.

Also remember you can use more than one style of edge finish. Rock, wood, turf, mulch, plants... all can be used effectively to hide liner. Here's a nice video the Ponddigger did to demonstrate different pond edging techniques:

Thank you for the video, he does an excellent job with his ponds. I think the one side where I plan to place a small waterfall will need to be trimed some. But the one side I did, I managed to dig it out, and buried the liner whole. Now I'm searching for how to make those sissy socks to hold the rocks against the lip of the liner into the pond. Still working, and it may take time to get it right. But that's the fun of it.

Attachments

• 20170415_153210.jpg
    20170415_153210.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 182
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
edge.png
ouida ur doing some thing wrong .. its looking difficult the way ur doing , try to create 2 to 4 inch high shelf on the edge inside water instead of creating a berm then fill that shelf with stones or gravel , the way ur doing will take more gravel and it will fall in pond often
dont create slope on the edge , just create flat shelf so it holds stones gravel and dont make it wide , just 4 to 6 inch wide then steep slope down

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yep, I see that too. I made it so high thinking it would settle. Will likely redo these edges at some point. You can see our attempt to make a shallow shelfs on the other side, however on this side we don't have the room to expand to a shallow shelf. It's a learning process for me for sure. I don't like to give up, worst case, will redo the whole thing next year. Lol. I already think that rock n roll edge stuff is the way to go without large rocks. But yes, I do not like that side, the other side needs work too. That liner is a pain.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Will likely redo these edges at some point.
Ha - I redid the edges of my pond 3 years in a row until I got it right! That's part of the fun of having a pond - enjoy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's part of the fun of having a pond

You have a different idea of fun than I do - haha!

That's why there are so many different kinds of ponds- so many different kinds of pond owners. I'm a do it once / do it right kind of person... I don't have the patience for do-overs. So I put a lot of time into studying and researching and do it in my mind a thousand times before I finally make the leap. But I see lots of ponders who just start digging!

I love that treatment for a vertical side - we saw a pond that had a similar edging that used basalt columns. A little pricey, but beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You have a different idea of fun than I do - haha!

That's why there are so many different kinds of ponds- so many different kinds of pond owners. I'm a do it once / do it right kind of person... I don't have the patience for do-overs. So I put a lot of time into studying and researching and do it in my mind a thousand times before I finally make the leap. But I see lots of ponders who just start digging!

I love that treatment for a vertical side - we saw a pond that had a similar edging that used basalt columns. A little pricey, but beautiful!
When I first put the liner in, thought I had research and research. I stepped back and just thought oh what now. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, but like I said try, try again. I do now see why everyone uses rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ha - I redid the edges of my pond 3 years in a row until I got it right! That's part of the fun of having a pond - enjoy!
Thank you, I needed some encouragement, I still say I feel better then when we first put the liner in. I see it will work, but will take time for me to get more supplies. We plan to enjoy what we have now.

Ask a Question