sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think they have gotten better with diapers but yes you never know .I used the gel beads but they are not cheap when you have lots of baskets and I over winter my baskets in the basement .Some of my plants I have had for 10 years and come winter I cut them back and stop feeding and water them less .I divide them come spring.Thank you my daddy taught me well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think they have gotten better with diapers but yes you never know .I used the gel beads but they are not cheap when you have lots of baskets and I over winter my baskets in the basement .Some of my plants I have had for 10 years and come winter I cut them back and stop feeding and water them less .I divide them come spring.Thank you my daddy taught me well
You can get gel beads on amazon $6 in a jug , enough to fill a kiddy pool. I did not do hanging baskets this year as I had a lot of painting to do, not much this last week as is rains every day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The gel beads are the same thing they use in diapers and a billion other products. They scare me no matter what form they take. Some of the components that make up these SAPs are neurotoxins - who knows what gets released when they break down - if the break down.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used cloth at home and disposable when I went out but first son was allergic to disposable ones

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I'm trying Epsom salt this year for the first time, on my tomatoes, I can't say for sure that it's making a difference but the yellowing of the bottom leaves seems to have stopped
Tomatoes deplete calcium from the soil. Put ground up egg shells or bone meal around them.
I used to plant mine in the same place in the garden every year. They got smaller and more sickly every year, ever with miracle grow. Talked to a master gardener who clued me in on the calcium, my tomatoes have done great ever since.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tomatoes deplete calcium from the soil. Put ground up egg shells or bone meal around them.
I used to plant mine in the same place in the garden every year. They got smaller and more sickly every year, ever with miracle grow. Talked to a master gardener who clued me in on the calcium, my tomatoes have done great ever since.
Thanks for the tip! :)

Ask a Question