Rubbermaid Bog Bending

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi guys,
I bought a 150 gallon rubbermaid tank and am going to convert it to a bog/waterfall. Has anyone had any luck cutting these to turn them into a waterfall? I'd love to cut it to fit my waterfall rock but am not sure how to waterproof the edges? Has anyone else done this or have any other better suggestions for how to get the water out of it into a waterfall configuration?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
that's one reason i didnt use it. Couldnt figure out how! I know others did it but I'm just not so crafty!

Good luck.

I think someone here actually sell spill way that he made. try search him. i'll try too.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Koiguy made/makes them. I also found a few references to people drilling 2" outflow pipes and camouflaging them. That might be the easiest way for me to do it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi guys,
I bought a 150 gallon rubbermaid tank and am going to convert it to a bog/waterfall. Has anyone had any luck cutting these to turn them into a waterfall? I'd love to cut it to fit my waterfall rock but am not sure how to waterproof the edges? Has anyone else done this or have any other better suggestions for how to get the water out of it into a waterfall configuration?
Oh, I think it's @koiguy1969 who makes or used to make and sell weirs for stock tanks. Maybe he'll see this and reply. My Skippy is a RM tank, but I used PVC coming out of it for my water return. It was pretty easy to cut with my various Dremel tools -- not the typical Dremel that comes to mind, but I have a Saw-Max and a Muti-max. Not sure about adhesives..... I used the PL goop, but it acted more like a gasket than an adhesive. If koiguy1969 answers (Mark), he can answer all your questions, I'm sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
lol :)

One thing about the pipe, just make it as big as you can and more than 1. I used to have pipe as the water outlet for my container bog and the pipe would clogged occasionally by just any derbies and the water would overflow my container. I think the suggestion is outflow at least twice the size of the inflow, but i would go more if it's pipes.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Koiguy made/makes them. I also found a few references to people drilling 2" outflow pipes and camouflaging them. That might be the easiest way for me to do it.
That's more or less what I did. Finding the correct size hole saw bit was my only issue. And I used bulkhead thingies. Quick & easy (more or less..... I do recall it took me an entire day but don't remember WHY it took that long).

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
lol :)

One thing about the pipe, just make it as big as you can and more than 1. I used to have pipe as the water outlet for my container bog and the pipe would clogged occasionally by just any derbies and the water would overflow my container. I think the suggestion is outflow at least twice the size of the inflow, but i would go more if it's pipes.
Super helpful! I have seen some with a type of filter over the top of the outlet pipe so I will consider.
I think I will do the pipe, I like the idea of being able to do it myself and think drilling holes might be better than cutting a slot out.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Pvc and electrical conduit run in the same sizes. The threads on the conduit tighten down better. You do need to use the primer and glue for the different material. I used a piece of liner as a gasket and PL Roofing sealant on the fitting thru the tank.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pvc and electrical conduit run in the same sizes. The threads on the conduit tighten down better. You do need to use the primer and glue for the different material. I used a piece of liner as a gasket and PL Roofing sealant on the fitting thru the tank.
Any pictures? I think I got it.
So I am planning on using 1 1/2" plumbing in the bottom of the bog and should use 2 2" outlet pipes? Does that sound sufficient?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
a hole saw, then bulkhead fittings. The bulkhead fittings can be sealed with marine silicone.

Measure twice, cut once. Cut multiple holes along one side of your tub, as many as you require to get the outflow to the desired discharge rate.

58017_3.jpg

Ask a Question