First Autumn - leaves galore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Toss a couple of those big-ass yoga balls in the pond to keep the net suspended over the water surface, blow-up beach balls, etc., etc.
I like that idea!! We just put the net on the pond last night (in a windstorm, I might add--happens EVERY year when we finally have time to trim back the plants and get the net on) and we were trying to think about how to raise the net off the surface of the water a bit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Toss a couple of those big-ass yoga balls in the pond to keep the net suspended over the water surface, blow-up beach balls, etc., etc.

I bought "Garden Flag holders" and suspend the net a couple of feet off the water. I have a 16x12 or so pond and use 12 of them. These are the things you see people put in their gardens to hold a banner saying "Vegetables" or whatever. Menards had them for about $6 each.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnet-Works...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001D61DKQ

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Use rebar and zip-ties.

Go away, laze on a beach.

Drink gin.

Who cares?

When you come back in the Spring, it really is just the same routine.

It's a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
My leaf net in action. All these leaves are just from the past 24 hours! :eek: All of this would be clogging up the skimmer box or sitting on the bottom of the pond. It's not perfect--some of the pine needles from the nearby trees still slip through--but it keeps about 95% of the leaves out of the pond. I scooped these leaves off the net after I took the photo--took me about 5 minutes.

leaf net.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, my attempt at putting s net on the pond has been a disaster. I made a bamboo frame and zip-tied a net to it, placing it over the pond. I had a gap of about 4 inches in height at either end so that birds and frogs could get in and out. I think the net has caught 4 leaves in the whole of winter and there are now more leaves in my pond than water, I think. This is after me spending 3 hours a couple of weeks ago picking them all out.

I don't knwo whether to just leave it for now and deal with it at the end of winter or whether to put the hours in keeping on top of it.

I have a litter-picker that I use for some of it and I grabbed a clump of leaves from between two rocks and got a frog by the leg. Nice to see he's in there, still.

Ask a Question