First Pond, diagrams and plans, whatcha think?

Reaction score
Greetings to all the fishkeepers! I have attached several scans concerning the pond I have planned when the weather cools here in the Panhandle of Florida. I have an Intex above ground pool 12 feet round x 30 inches deep for my main liner. Its the one with the checker pattern inside, still, I think it might look good. I will shape the liner to fit the basic outline drawn on the plans. At the back of the 3ft waterfall will be my two 44 gallon biofilters being feed from a 44 gallon atmospheric balance tank, kinda like in a pool setup. Pictures say 1000 words, so tell me what you think. Also, can a algae eater live inside one of the biofilters...and should i have an aerorater in the pond if I have a 3ft waterfall splashing on rocks....and is 23 gallons per minute too much coming over the falls....greatly appreciate the tips...........

Attachments

• site plan.jpg
    site plan.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 393
  • cross pond.jpg
    cross pond.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 461
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 402

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't believe 23 gallons per minute is too much for your falls, I have about 60-70 going over mine.

I use an aerator in addition to what my falls produce, I find that the more oxygen in my pond the clearer the water.

I don't see a skimmer on your drawings, you have quite a few trees on your pics. Leaves might be a problem in the fall, you just might have to fish them out, I find having a skimmer useful.

On your first drawing your grill and sink are going to block the view of your turtle marsh, could you move the sink around to the side on the left then scoot your grill down to where your sink is, this would allow you to see more of your yard. Not sure if it is feasible just something I noticed.

Like the idea of the turtle pond.

Welcome to the forum too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and tmann is right the more aeration the clearer the water and in the heat you get you may need it .It's good your going deep and that will help your fish survive the heat .I wish I had gone deeper .What kind of fish are you getting and what kind of turtles do you have .Can I ask why the sump pump and a regular pump .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
turtle-welcome-to-the-group.gif

welcome! glad you joined.

I agree with tmann, move the grill, esp if it a built in one.

didn't see the sump pump in his drawing, agree sissy why a sump pump (good catch sissy). They are not really made to run 24/7 and can be power hogs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true addy about the grill and sink would you not want that as your viewing area of everything .I would want to face my guests while I'm cooking on a grill so I can cook and talk (something I do well )COUGH COUGH ,LOL, If you face the grill out towards you guests and put a small bar in front of the grill they can sit and converse with you and it will also keep anyone from being burned by the grill .The path on the right hand side move it up and put your grill out from the house and you can enjoy the view while grilling too

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone, these were just preliminary plans for something that has already grown larger. I just read up on connecting bogs to the pond....well, back to the drawing board....will submit new plans in a few days, few questions though...is 23gpm too much going through a bog? are turtles good for bog, and what kind are best? i would like to have a 200 gallon bog, deep enough for the turtles to have a chance against the birds, but space is a factor, is 12 inches enough for protection? and, what plants for partial sun? you all are great!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
omg you mean the birds get the turtles .Addy has a bog ,but your climate is much different since you are dealing with all warm weather there .I do know turtles like to sun them selves .When I go down to the Dan River I see them sunning them selves up on the rocks all the time .You may be able to check out local pet stores and pond stores there and see what there thoughts are on turtles and there needs and what kind to get .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies everyone, these were just preliminary plans for something that has already grown larger. I just read up on connecting bogs to the pond....well, back to the drawing board....will submit new plans in a few days, few questions though...is 23gpm too much going through a bog? are turtles good for bog, and what kind are best? i would like to have a 200 gallon bog, deep enough for the turtles to have a chance against the birds, but space is a factor, is 12 inches enough for protection? and, what plants for partial sun? you all are great!!

I have 4200 gph going through my bog but it is large.

What kind of birds? to protect the turtles? if herons, deeper.

This is some info on bogs I wrote, collected from different sources, see if it helps you.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/6894-bog-building/

Ask a Question