First Pond Help Needed

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new to the site.

I'm going to be building a pond in my back yard, I am looking to have fish in the pond.The pond itself will be 9' x 9' with a deepest depth of 4' for winter conditions.

With not having any experience at all with making a pond, i seek your advice.

Is this an ideal kit to begin with?

http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/10000-litre-pond-kit/p1339

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks
Simon

Reaction score
Dunno bout them kits the liner is usually quite thin. I would dig the pond then get a liner from a pond supply house...

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am not too big on kits, I feel that you could get better quality if you pick and choose what you need and want such as the thickness of the liner, type of pump and I would build the doc bio filter, would cost you less and probably perform better.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard Simon, Take time to read all you can on filtering, Don't skip in that area, I've said it before and I'll say it again, The filter is the heart of the pond, A GOOD filter does not have to be expensive, but it does have to work, a bad filter only gives you headaches.

Reaction score
Any advice on a decent filter sytems, which ones to look at?? what make??

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
filters...i would recommend lookin in the DIY section...build your own,cheaper and in most cases better....myself and the 2 Dr.s, Dave and Case have build threads on our filters just to name a few

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome pond, I agree with the above the kits are not the best way to go.

Reaction score
Ok thanks for your replies. I'll take a look at the other options mentioned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As for DIY bio filters....I've found you need twice the output as you do input...trial and error for this newbie, but live and learn! lol the ground around it needed softening anyhoot as I have to build a retaining wall around my waterfall and it softened the ground I have to level.
:lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You will learn lots as you build rebelangel.................sometimes oh poop, other times yeah!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Pond, Welcome and my two cents on kits. Three years ago I was shopping in a home supply store and went down the aisle that had pond equipment. I thought it would be fun to try to build a pond so after a day I went back and bought it. Basically the kit has served me well for three years. My fish seem to be happy and do not know they are living in a kit. The only thing I have upgraded since then is the biofilter. Of course there are better materials you can buy or build yourself if you have the inclination, but starting with a kit is not the end of the world and it works for a lot of people. Good luck with your pond Pond!

Reaction score
As CometKeith pointed out, there's wrong with a kit. It just costs several times more than putting together an equivalent pond from scratch. Since you have lots of brains to pick here, you might as well save some money.

Ask a Question