First pond

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
After my children were grown, I found myself in an unexpected life change, which required me to keep up a very large pool with little finances and less time. I researched it for nearly 6 months and then the day came that I let it go green. It’s has good days and bad days and I’m learning along the way. I’m happy to find this forum, so I can learn more. These are a few of my better pictures but I’m dealing with spider mites right now. Excited to be here.
Beautiful pool to pond conversion! Do you have water being pumped up through gravel in your bog? That can help a lot to keep the water clear, as lots of gravel means lots of nitrifying bacteria.

I really love the assortment of plants!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful pool to pond conversion! Do you have water being pumped up through gravel in your bog? That can help a lot to keep the water clear, as lots of gravel means lots of nitrifying bacteria.

I really love the assortment of plants!
I did try to place a gravel barrier on the old waterfall from hot tub to main pool. The roots of the parrots feather and others have gone so deep into that but it’s really not working well. Any other ideas? I like how the parents feather flows over the waterfall.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I did try to place a gravel barrier on the old waterfall from hot tub to main pool. The roots of the parrots feather and others have gone so deep into that but it’s really not working well. Any other ideas? I like how the parents feather flows over the waterfall.
One idea would be to rig your pump to flow up through the gravel by hooking it to a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it (or slots). That way the water gets distributed through the gravel and slowly bubbles up to the surface, providing oxygen to beneficial bacteria along the way. The bacteria convert the ammonia from fish waste into nitrites, and the plant roots growing into the gravel from above continue the process, turning nitrites into nitrates. The end result is very clean water without much in the way of nutrients left over to support algae in the pond.

You can find loads of great videos on how to do this on Youtube, but I've found this one to be a pretty good starting point:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful pond! It makes me want to buy a house with a pool and hot tub to do such a conversion. I agree with the comments that a deeper gravel layer in your hot tub bog would give you more water clarity. Water pumped to the bottom of the hot tub could be done with a single pump if the current plumbing is too hard to rig to flow to the bottom. You have a real green thumb!

Ask a Question