Insulating above ground pond sides

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi I have a 500 gallon intex type pool/pond for my alligator snapping turtle. I am planning to keep him outside Year Round now. What can I do to insulate the sides of the pond? The sides of the pond are like a tarp material. Would this work? Placing foam boards against the tarp material and bottom then use underlay and pond liner all around covering the foam boards? I’m just worried about the material not working together not compatible and not sure what type of insulation board to use. Anyone can help?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Are you sure this is even big enough to accommodate an alligator snapping turtle? Just curious….

As to your question….I have read several suggestions for insulating an outdoor pond, so maybe someone else will chime in and help you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome. I don’t think it will be worth the cost or effort. Insulation retains heat. It can’t create it. Heat rises, so most heat loss will happen at the surface of the pond. Insulated sides and no insulated top, I think, would retain very little heat.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1658508619904.gif

1658508636238.gif
@Koorius_G

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the welcome! I do plan on placing heaters during the winter to keep the pond warm which is why I was thinking of insulation to keep the heat in. The 500gallon is a lot bigger than what she is in now 110gallon. I would love to give her a bigger pond but right now I’ve already spent a lot on setting up this one. Hopefully someone can help with my insulation thanks!!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello and welcome!

Are you sure this is even big enough to accommodate an alligator snapping turtle? Just curious….

As to your question….I have read several suggestions for insulating an outdoor pond, so maybe someone else will chime in and help you.
This is my first time having an AST and she was basically dropped off for my dad to take care of and I tried to contact all the sanctuary to see if they can take her in but none could. I’m in western Canada. So instead I figured I will make something so she is more comfortable but having to bring her in and out is a hassle. Do u think it will be ok to have AST outside all year round? What will happen in the winter to them do u know? I would have heaters in the pond and will have a top on for the winter but thinking if I could insulate the sides and bottom as well wondering if that will work to keep temp up?

Ask a Question