First Pond :)

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the replies and welcomes :)

I actually think some people underestimate the whole DIY thing. I don't own any cutting tools at all... I'm not going out to buy a whole lot of tools to build a filter :) Im not stupid, I'm just not into the whole DIY, building stuff :)

I have put the pond in tho! I dug out the hole and set it up :) my partner was amazed I did it in such a short time without his help! (my arms were very sore the next day from digging!)

I now just have it running with a crappy old pump but will buy a filter today :) I am loving my pond so far!!

Thanks again for everyone's advice/input.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
for diy filters all you need is a cheap drill and paddle bits for the size whole you need .But guess that is just me talking because I'm used to power tools got my first air compressor when I bought my first house at 19 .Hey you buy a fixer upper you better invest in tools .LOLThat or have money to pay someone to do it and all my friends and relatives helped my addiction to tools .Learned on a chainsaw and ended up with a chop saw

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you dont need any expensive fancy tools to build a filter a hole saw that fits a drill is all you need. and a hacksaw to cut the pvc pipe...thats it! you'll cut 3 peices of pipe and cut one hole in the side of the tank, 2 if you install a flush valve. you do not even need to glue the pipes into the fittings, theres not a pressurized load on the plumbing. the whole project is very easy and doesnt take long at all..dont let anybody scare you off a simple build. there are several senior women here that easily built their own...just giving options without cutting down other ideas while doing it. ,,,these DIY filters cost far less than anything even remotely close in efficiency you can buy.

Reaction score
Honestly i still think it's easier said than done. For someone newb like me, it would take a bit of trial and error and messing around on my first go. I'm planning to try it out on my secondary pond when/if I have time...but I can see why its difficult for someone who hasn't done any of this before. In fact, something as simple as connecting my new filter that i bought to the waterfall has been a bit of a pain for me cuz here in Australia, we usually get everything for Bunnings (tools, garden things etc.) but when i needed 32mm (1.25 inch) connectors (which I had to google up what I need, heck I didn't even know what they were called...I was like..those water seal things that connect two different sizes of hoses...) they didnt' have any...they only went up to 25mm (1 inch). I had to search around to see who sells them (keep in mind I have no idea who sells them) until I found out (after a short time) that irrigation places sell them...then I needed to find out the closes place (in the process I found a place that sells one for 1.50 with free deliver xD).

I'm sure someone who's very handle could have gone...you coulda saved that $1.50 and made something that could connect the two hoses...or even better find a way to get rid of a hose. But it's easier said than done. That's why we come to these forums and ask for help =P. Some of us are looking to learn how to DIY (like myself) cuz it's a nice hobby to have (not just because it's cheaper) but others just want something easy, efficient and reliable. And that's why i bought myself a pressure filter despite much dislike for it in these forums at least. Then again my pond is a work-in-progress =P

If not for the waterfall, I think I would have recommended a gravity filter. I think these work similarly to the so called "skippy" filters (i dont' really know) that you can make yourself. I know that here in Australia OASE is a propular and expensive brand they buy: i do recommend checking the prices on ebay though...they tend to be much cheaper. But yea, i think someone who knows more about this sort of stuff should inform you rather than me. I'm as 'green' as you are really...

Reaction score
DIY Skippy Parts
Kit from Skippy site: $145 + $22 shipping (eastern US) = $167
Rubbermaid stock tank, 70 gal (smallest available) at Sears $98.81 + $11.50 shipping to Phoenix = $110.31
Total = $277.31

Already Made Skippy
Little tub filter $182.04 + $17.32 shipping = $201.34 total

If you already have the parts they're completely FREE. If you already have the tools they're FREE. If you don't make a single mistake there's NO COST for extra parts.

I've build many filters, many kinds, years of experience. If someone laid out all the parts in my clean shop, I had all I needed tools laid out and ready to go, I had a few hours to read and figure out the instructions, I could bang out a Skippy in 30 minutes, I doubt 20 unless there was a bet on the line. How is that any where close to the reality a person new to DIY faces?

In an absolutely perfect world, one I do not live in, an experienced person could build a Skippy in 30 minutes and it would only cost you $75 extra.

The next argument is...well you can redesign a Skippy to be cheaper. Yes, after you have a lot of experience. Given endless time you can try different things, find a used stock tank on Craig's List for $20, etc.

I love DIY, been doing it for years, will do it for years more. My current home is almost 100% DIY custom from the studs in, all materials bought on Craig's List, EBay and used stores. But DIY is only cheaper because DIY people never consider the actual cost of tracking down parts, making changes, etc.

Non DIY should not feel in any way inferior or have to defend their choice. DIY is a hobby, a choice. With a lot of experience you can get superior results, but that experience has a cost. I don't feel comfortable casting aspersions on non DIY people because in a logical debate I don't think my choice for DIY is all that superior.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my 55 gal drum....$5.00....many car washes give them to you!
plumbing less than $20.00
media about $60.00

70 gal stocktank..$60.00
plumbing ...less than 20.00
same media...free

but, TSC has another brand of stocktank 110 gal for $60.00...also HDPE polyethelene

Reaction score
The Skippy web site goes out of its way to say a Rubbermaid stock tank is to be used.

But if building some other kind of filter can be cheaper than a Skippy is cheaper then I agree 100%...that was my point at the start...a trickle tower can be made for the cost of the rocks in your yard, and a small length of hose, and does a better job of ammonia conversion than a Skippy. And it requires no tools or DIY skills unlike a Skippy which is what was asked at the start of the thread.

I get it. You think it's no big deal to have a shop, a bunch of tools, spend hours tracking down parts, more time looking for deals...I get it, I do it all the time. The issue is expecting everyone to believe exactly the same way and to build the exact same filter as whatever you call yours. People not into DIY have their reasons and they should be respected imo.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a drill motor with hole saw, and a hascksaw is all it takes for tools to make the filter...not exactly a shop is it? and my tank is a rubbermade 70 gal...so, as you say..i get it, if you like paying the big dollars for items readily available cheaper. the plumbing stuff is all readily available at most any hardware store.i can go to Lowes and find everything in 10 minutes. i have respect for non DIYers...you just keep saying the DIY filters cost more and dont work...that i dont respect. and theres alot of folks just on this forum that would agree! not once did i say anything against non DIYers... youve posted over and ovcer again that, basically DIY filters are fun to build but are pretty much useless...thats a crock of crap...they do a great job when built right...
and as for Glen Laskey.from Beautiful Ponds and Gardens...one of the inventors of the skippy...he'll tell you, that the rubbermade already has the ledges in for supporting the media tray.so no need to make supports. thats why they reccomend it. it by no means has to be a rubbermade...and it was the only polyethelene stocktank they tried, it worked great, so no need to look further...after all the coolers, drums, etc.. they tried, and didnt work well, or totally failed.

Reaction score
you just keep saying the DIY filters cost more and dont work
I presented the numbers, with linkes, that show DIY cost more. You respond by ignoring the time needed to find cheaper materials, the drive to and from Lowes, assume tools cost $0, etc., whatever it takes to make your position seem true.

Never said Skippy doesn't work...said it doesn't work as well as a trickle tower. Lots of studies back that up as trickle towers have been used in aquaculture for many years. I would site the studies but it doesn't seem like reality would have any effect on this discussion.

and theres alot of folks just on this forum that would agree
You may have noticed I'm not into towing the party line. I prefer studies and data to the next neighbor saying "I did it, so it must be true".

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
this discussion is old and worn.. why would i even call Sears for a stocktank over any agricutural supply? 1 call to a TSC store, i found my Stocktank $60.00 and delivered to my door free next day! Lowes is 5 min away.10 minutes inside got averything else in 1 aisle. and its build is alot quicker and easier than a stream would be.... it woud take longer for me to get the liner and stone ..

Reaction score
The build is not complicated for you...me...and a bunch of other people on the planet. The build IS tremendously complicated for most of the people on the planet...people who don't build stuff or want to build stuff. The concept you're missing is the complexity of the build is relative...not absolute.

Yes, for a 100 gal pond, which is what this thread is about, a 3' stream would do a better job at converting ammonia. It has about the same amount of media (surface area) but the stream beats the Skippy in the amount of O2 it provides the bacteria which it requires to complete the conversion. Not that I would ever expect you to believe such a claim. You just know in your gut you're right and that's that. Forget the studies, forget the facts. That you expect me to believe your gut just isn't going to happen.

10 minutes at Lowes. Do you live at Lowes? That's great for you. And the person that lives in the country 30 minutes away? Or someone in the outback hours from a city? In the real world those people are going to count the total time and cost in deciding whether or not to build a DIY filter.

I don't think you do live at Lowes. I think you're willfully ignoring the obvious facts to suit yourself. Your numbers are pure fiction. It's pointless to discuss this with you, so good day.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi,

I'm from Melbourne, Australia and I have always wanted a pond having recently bought out house in the last year. But now having a mortgage, we have never really had enough "spare" money to get a pond.
WELL! Someone from work is wanting to get rid of their pond, so I jumped at the chance. They are giving it to me for free, it is a preformed fibreglass pond, a kidney shape and is about 1.8mL, 1.1m W at its widest point and I think depth of about 45cm.
I really just want to have a small nice pond with some goldfishies/plants in it (and hopefully clear water!)

I have worked out that very roughly it will hold about 450Litres of water, I was looking at the Hozelock Bioforce filter (http://www.rockaroun...?pID=551&cID=92) and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is a good filter??
I am not handy at all so do not want to DIY anything :)

Thanks!!!!

I know some of the posters in europe use the hozelock filters and seem to be happy with them.

Here is a link to a bunch of posts about hozelock filters, see if it helps you at all.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Ask a Question