First winter for our Northeast Ohio small pond - aerator needed??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lake County, Ohio

Two small ponds (250 and 500 gallons) I use a pond de-icer and 4 air stones (powered by air pump which is in a rubbermaid box to keep it out of the elements) the 250 gallon pond is raised and covered with polycarbonate roofing sheets for the winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and do like I do with my lily pond .I used heavy plastic over it like a hoop house .Colleen does it in Canada

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
welcome and do like I do with my lily pond .I used heavy plastic over it like a hoop house .Colleen does it in Canada
I have a 2500 gal koi pond in zone 7 also and I cover it with a frame ( PVC ) and clear reinforced poly ( woven ). for the winter . I run 2 aerators 12" deep all winter and turn my pump off. The poly acts as a hot house even when it is cold and my water hardly ever freezes . If I know the temps are going to get real low for a few days I run a heater to keep a hole in the ice. Has worked great for 9 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
ok

Ask a Question