First year and failing miserably!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We don't know when the fish were added nor the reason for the major filter upgrade, plus with the inaccuracy of the test strips, I thought it would be good to know, using a liquid test kit.

gblazzo

gblazzo
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Sorry your having trouble down there, why did you need to triple your filtration ? The fish don't sound very big. Have you lost any more?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have to admit though... a 1000 gallons for 6 koi... I know your parameter testing says 0 but if the pond is 4 months old I am always suspicious.

1- Do you have the plants to support these 6 fish in the pond? It's winter now so the plants going to be mostly inactive and wont suck in the ammonia/nitrates. I just wonder about a 4 months old pond have zeros on parameters.

2- Did you spray "ANYTHING" around the pond? ANYTHING.... famous subtle fish deaths from overflows. Spraying in places that can possibly flood and the water pass to the pond when it rains heavy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thank you all so much for your input.

I've partially figured out the issue. NO thanks at all to the man I brought the water sample to yesterday. I bought a liquid test kit myself and tested it as soon as I got home.

Nitrate and nitrite are still Zero
PH-8.3
Ammonia- 1.0!!! Not the zero he said it was. So they are dying of ammonia poisoning from what I've read. I've tested 5+ times with the same result. The remainder of the fish were actively dying (gasping for air and floating on their sides) so I pulled them out of the pond and put them in a quarantine tank. I added enough Prime to get the ammonia to a .25 in the quarantine tank.

They seem to be doing better than they were in the pond.

Here's my problem- I tested my tap water and the ammonia in the tap is at 1.5!
PH is 8.6. So water changes are only hurting and not helping. I use Prime every time I do a water change.

So now that I think I've figured out the issue I don't know how best to fix it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you all so much for your input.

I've partially figured out the issue. NO thanks at all to the man I brought the water sample to yesterday. I bought a liquid test kit myself and tested it as soon as I got home.

Nitrate and nitrite are still Zero
PH-8.3
Ammonia- 1.0!!! Not the zero he said it was. So they are dying of ammonia poisoning from what I've read. I've tested 5+ times with the same result. The remainder of the fish were actively dying (gasping for air and floating on their sides) so I pulled them out of the pond and put them in a quarantine tank. I added enough Prime to get the ammonia to a .25 in the quarantine tank.

They seem to be doing better than they were in the pond.

Here's my problem- I tested my tap water and the ammonia in the tap is at 1.5!
PH is 8.6. So water changes are only hurting and not helping. I use Prime every time I do a water change.

So now that I think I've figured out the issue I don't know how best to fix it.

I don't want to seem to be questioning your test results but if you have an Ammonia reading of 1.0 you should be getting some level of Nitrite. The two kinda go hand-in-hand. Also the fact that you treat with Prime when you conduct a water change is another reason that this should not be causing a problem as Prime detoxifies Ammonia.
An untreated Ammonia level of 1.0 existing with your temperatures and Ph is stressful to fish and over time may (or may not) cause fatalities and it may be part of your problem. I do not believe that it is your sole problem.
The addition of zeolite may be a less expensive way to reduce a high level of Ammonia but even this will need to be replaced eventually.
Ammonia levels in tap water are quite common as many water suppliers add it to minimize the harmful side effects of Chlorine. It is also a product of Chloramine disassociation.
Maybe I am missing something here and perhaps others will jump in, but I don't see Ammonia as possible being the sole source of your problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just tested again and ammonia is between .25 and .5 (light yellow green) nitrite is still zero (has been the same shade of blue each time on test kit)

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Reading thru this
Sounds like this pond has not.cycled or it cycled and something happened that killed the beneficial bacteria and you had a ammo spike and it got your fish, it could be that your fish where already weak and the combo of temp changes and the cycle was to much to handle.

When did you last clean the filters4
How what was the procedure, did you clean them all at once ?

I would recommend
Ammo lock
25 percent water change make sure you use Declor
I would also check your tap water or well water for any change.

Ruben

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think it would be helpful to know the history of the pond:
When did you add water?
When did you add fish?
Did you test the water before and after you added the fish?
Why did you need to upgrade the filters?
How exactly have you been using the quarantine tank?

If there have been constant positive ammonia readings, it could be a case of the gills of the fish being damaged to the point of no longer enabling the fish to receive enough oxygen for survival. Ammonia burn is not reversible.
Perhaps you could post a picture of the gills of any of the fish, dead or alive.

I agree with Meyer Jordan, the water test numbers are not adding up and I think you have very weak fish at this point.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ammonia in your tap water is it city or well .Do you have a aerator or water movement to add oxygen and what mitch said will help .

gblazzo

gblazzo
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
We all lose some fish when we started out, don't let it get you down. Its like on the job training, you'll learn thru experience and by listening to the advice of these folks. New ponds don't have beneficial bacteria that feed on the fish waste and decaying plant matter that will make the water poisonous for your fish. You can buy beneficial bacteria though, to help kickstart a healthy colony in your pond, although I think its too late in the season for that now as the bacteria needs warmer water to live in. Pond plants also help very much because they feed on all the ammonia and nutrients that fish create , it makes them grow like fertilizer does and in doing so keeps the water healthy for the fish to breathe. Its gonna take a couple years for a new pond to establish its ecosystem from what I've heard. After that the darn thing will practically take care of itself ,at least that's the case with my 1700 gal pond . So please don't give up it's worth sticking with. You'll see for yourself that its a great way to relax outside all summer, sometimes you just don't wanna go inside because your having a good time observing all the wildlife that shows up. Birds, bugs, frogs and fish are all great to watch and help us unwind , relax and enjoy our free time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We all lose some fish when we started out, don't let it get you down. Its like on the job training, you'll learn thru experience and by listening to the advice of these folks. New ponds don't have beneficial bacteria that feed on the fish waste and decaying plant matter that will make the water poisonous for your fish. You can buy beneficial bacteria though, to help kickstart a healthy colony in your pond, although I think its too late in the season for that now as the bacteria needs warmer water to live in. Pond plants also help very much because they feed on all the ammonia and nutrients that fish create , it makes them grow like fertilizer does and in doing so keeps the water healthy for the fish to breathe. Its gonna take a couple years for a new pond to establish its ecosystem from what I've heard. After that the darn thing will practically take care of itself ,at least that's the case with my 1700 gal pond . So please don't give up it's worth sticking with. You'll see for yourself that its a great way to relax outside all summer, sometimes you just don't wanna go inside because your having a good time observing all the wildlife that shows up. Birds, bugs, frogs and fish are all great to watch and help us unwind , relax and enjoy our free time.
Over the years weve put together a library of books mostly about koi but also about fish health issues .
Why not check the list out . buy one or two of the health books and put the winter to good use by reading up on the subject ?
I promise you if you do and take onboard fully what these books are telling you that next time you'll be more than equipped to handle problems that may arise.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/our-updated-library-with-reviews.11/

Dave

Ask a Question