Fish and toads swiming into skimmer

Reaction score
I have a Savio skimmer and I see that the fish like to swim into it and out. Is that normal for fish to do that.
Additional I noticed that toads get stuck in the skimmer. Any suggestion on how to prevent that from happening as I find dead toads in the skimmer. Was thinking of making a screen to put in front of the faceplate. Its an 8 inch opening.

Kurt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a Savio skimmer and I see that the fish like to swim into it and out. Is that normal for fish to do that.
Additional I noticed that toads get stuck in the skimmer. Any suggestion on how to prevent that from happening as I find dead toads in the skimmer. Was thinking of making a screen to put in front of the faceplate. Its an 8 inch opening.

Kurt
I have a Savio skimmer and the first thing I do when I get home each afternoon is to check the skimmer and release all the frogs, baby Koi, snails and anything else that's in there..... But I always have it in my mind one day when I pull the cover off there is going to be a snake in there

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Kurt

Just part of having a pond. Usually no harm comes to the fish.
Be advised that placing any kind of barrier over the weir opening will only negate the purpose of the skimmer. It will not function properly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I have a Savio skimmer and the first thing I do when I get home each afternoon is to check the skimmer and release all the frogs, baby Koi, snails and anything else that's in there..... But I always have it in my mind one day when I pull the cover off there is going to be a snake in there
thats bad i feel bad for baby koi , they must b thinking like nemo if we go in the filter we can reach river , only 25% snakes are venomous so u have good chance to survive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b

Kurt
Keeping fish out of the skimmer
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1583036/keeping-fish-out-of-the-skimmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats bad i feel bad for baby koi , they must b thinking like nemo if we go in the filter we can reach river , only 25% snakes are venomous so u have good chance to survive
I don't mind snakes I will even catch them and relocate them, but I like it on my terms, don't like surprises

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No snakes in our pond...yet, but every morning when I open the egg box door on my chicken coop I am waiting to be greeted by one there.
surprised-snake-smiley-emoticon.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
No snakes in our pond...yet, but every morning when I open the egg box door on my chicken coop I am waiting to be greeted by one there. View attachment 100844
usualy snakes surprise u where u least expect , i dontknow this phenomenon but here when it rains , snakes usualy come towards houses or higher dry places , once it rained and i was starting my water motor i found 5 ft snake there , i killed it since it was near house cud have come in in future he knew the way .
im not sure but i assume snakes will be afraid of chickens pr if they see they will make loud noise , specially if u have good rooster , i had fighting tall specie of rooster it wud beat humans and our dog lol

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
usualy snakes surprise u where u least expect , i dontknow this phenomenon but here when it rains , snakes usualy come towards houses or higher dry places , once it rained and i was starting my water motor i found 5 ft snake there , i killed it since it was near house cud have come in in future he knew the way .
im not sure but i assume snakes will be afraid of chickens pr if they see they will make loud noise , specially if u have good rooster , i had fighting tall specie of rooster it wud beat humans and our dog lol

A chicken will attack a snake, but snakes do like chicken eggs.

Ask a Question