Fish aren't fighting over food or coming to the top.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Another possibility is the fish may be scared of you or of predators. If that is the case they would be reluctant to come to the top. I would try to feed them several times a day and less food at each feeding and try to get them used to you. You may want to step back after putting food in the pond and see if they are more brave. Also you can try sitting still while watching them and see if they are more aggressive. I know when I first had my pond my fish would run and hide when anyone but me was close. Now they are little beggars for food when anyone comes near!
Thanks, I will try to feed them Less, more often and stand still. They come up at times and grab a piece of food but then hurry down.

My friend who has Koi that are 13 years old eat out of his hands...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my goldies eat out of my hands,I just hold food in my fingers and they come running. Same with the deck shubunkins, they nibble on my fingers if I run out of food, I have even given them belly rubs lol

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Spitting turtles or splitting turtles scare you WB? LOL I would be scared of splitting turtles as well,

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
I asked my gold fish about this subject ,They refused to answer ,lack of interest I guess .so if they won't eat a little ,I remember the age old ,saying you can lead a fish to water ,but you can't make it drink or something like that ,by tomorrow they will have a automatic attitude ajustment ,and drink the darn water,At least thats what thier physco therapist said at thier last session 25 yrs ago! I only get concerned when the will not swim not when the won't eat ,It's kinda like how you make auntie freeze ,you hide her jammies and robe ,while shes in the shower ! and usually just as serious ,they kept hiding thier rectal thermomitor ,so I quit worring about it !
.+

Ask a Question