Fish can feel pain

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Here is the latest on the debate of can fish feel pain but this goes a little further in that it also says the level of mental complexity fish display is on a par with most other vertebrates.
There is mounting evidence that they can feel pain in a manner similar to humans.
While the brains of fish differ from other vertebrates, fish have many analogous structures that perform similar functions. The scientist concludes that if any animals are sentient, fish must be considered to be so too.

Read on :-

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....h_can_feel_pain,_says_expert&utm_content=html

The debate continues

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for that!

I was at Boy Scout camp all last week and sat in on a session of a Fishing Merit Badge class. One young scout caught a fish [catch & release] -- no idea what it was, but maybe some kind of bass....? Anyway, I had to cringe when they pulled the hook from its mouth, as I've always wondered if and to what degree they feel pain.

Being the weenie that I am, when I caught one at camp last summer, I cut the hook and backed it out of the fish's mouth like you would pull a hook from your hand. I was going into my 2nd pond-season at the time, and was beginning to have a lot more sympathy for the finned creatures, and just couldn't bring myself to "pull the hook" barbed-part out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that!

I was at Boy Scout camp all last week and sat in on a session of a Fishing Merit Badge class. One young scout caught a fish [catch & release] -- no idea what it was, but maybe some kind of bass....? Anyway, I had to cringe when they pulled the hook from its mouth, as I've always wondered if and to what degree they feel pain.

Being the weenie that I am, when I caught one at camp last summer, I cut the hook and backed it out of the fish's mouth like you would pull a hook from your hand. I was going into my 2nd pond-season at the time, and was beginning to have a lot more sympathy for the finned creatures, and just couldn't bring myself to "pull the hook" barbed-part out.

There have been many studies into if fish feel pain in the past TurtleMommy , the Japanese call koi Warrior fish or Samuria fish because they dont show pain when bits are carved off them alive. Then all the marine biology scientists agreed that they feel some modicum of pain but this latest if proven is amazing he is saying that fish are seniant beings but not as we know it .
Makes me feel hell of a guilty being a former deep sea trawlerman the number of fish I've gutted plus the decompression they undergo when being hauled to the surface :(

Dave

Reaction score
I would think if they have a nervous system they feel pain. They should be able to feel if another fish takes a bite out of them and then the reaction would be to flee. I don't know but I have always disliked fishing because of having to impale worms and fish mouths. I am thankful I can pick my food up at the store already dead!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never doubted that fish can feel pain. I certainly don't need a study to prove it ;)

And not to offend anyone but I never could understand the folks who go fishing and then throw the fish back in the water? So do they just like to inflict pain on the fish for fun? o_O

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have fish in my pond, and I take fish from my boat. The bigger fish are released, as they're the breeding stock. The smaller fish are kept for eating. There are catch limits, slot limits, possession limits that are all imposed as a result of biological studies by various departments and ministries.

Do lettuce or onions feel pain when they're plucked, if not, then why do people play music to plants in greenhouses?

C'mon..........beef, pork and chicken aren't raised in neat, little cellophane covered foam containers......

Jesus made fishes multiply and fed them to the masses..............

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I fully accept that vertebrates have the ability to feel pain, invertebrates, no.
I do what I can to provide a good life for all the animals I keep.
- but if and when I keep small edible animals like chickens or tilapia for example, I'll be the one butchering them.
The cattle, I'll call someone in.

That's the way life is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have fish in my pond, and I take fish from my boat. The bigger fish are released, as they're the breeding stock. The smaller fish are kept for eating. There are catch limits, slot limits, possession limits that are all imposed as a result of biological studies by various departments and ministries.

Do lettuce or onions feel pain when they're plucked, if not, then why do people play music to plants in greenhouses?

C'mon..........beef, pork and chicken aren't raised in neat, little cellophane covered foam containers......

Jesus made fishes multiply and fed them to the masses..............

God gave man stewardship ofver the birds in the air the animals on land and the fish in the sea , so far weve made a bad job of it its only now that e are realizing all creatures in one way or another are seniant in that they think and because of this very fact are.
All the scientists agree that fish feel pain but its to what degree they do thats the argument belween them this scientist if you read further even clains senitentsy in fish however as to what degree thats anyones guess .
A fisherman will tell you that Carp learn from when they are caught eventually they become large and wise to the ways of man, know just how to foul a line when on the end of a hook and nines out of te shuck's off the hook to fight another day, they become legend to the fish keeper and great stead is put in pitting your whits against that of the carp well they do in the UK and Europe I'm not sure about the US and Canada..

Dave

Ask a Question