Fish Dead, Cycle Pond?

Reaction score
I just moved in my pond to my garage. I filled half, waited a day and filled the rest. I added a trio of "feeder fish" aka comet goldfish. None of them made it through the night. When I had the pond outside I filled it, waited a couple days and add several fish. It was fine for a couple weeks then so much clay fell in the pond I had to clean it. When I added the fish back, they all dies. From what I read, this could be caused by not cycling the tank but the weird thing is that the traditional way of cycling is by adding these fish. They were small at about 1-2 inches. I dont have to pump in because it winter. I have it in a small plastic fish tank next to the pond. Im working on a cascade filter. I think ill set it up to get some aeration. Anything elso I can do to help with the cycling issue?
Thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You need to get the water moving with air or a pump ..The fish need to breathe

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Air is thinner in the winter months,moving water is critial during that time.

Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense, Ill add a 4 or 5 inch comet tomorrow with the pump going. Ill work on the filter throughout the winter and install it when it warms up some. Its inside and not in the sun so it should be fine until then.

Reaction score
Ok, whats the best way to dechlorinate it, the stuff I use for fish tanks is like 8 bucks for a bottle big enough for 60 gallons. Is there better stuff to use. Will the chlorine eventually evaporate.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You can get concentrate powder for about $10 that will treat many thousands of gallons. Check the internet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Clemsonguy, It's recommended that your use the dechlorinator and let the water sit for 24 hours before you use it for your fish. Chlorine and Chloramine are heavy metals and never dissipate. They destroy the ability of fish to breathe through their gills. I use a bunch of 5 gallon buckets, prep the water and use them the next day. If there is low oxygen because of poor aeration and its hard to breathe, your fish don't have much chance of surviving. There is better stuff you can buy to dechlorinate. I think the $15 bottle I get is good for like 1000 gallons or more. One bottle lasted me the whole summer.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
chlorine and chlorimanes are gases introduced to 'sanitize' your miniciple water supply. chloramines are a muxture of chlorine and ammonia, both of which are toxic to fish. a good dechlorinator also neutralizes heavy metals in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
koiguy ,you are right. The Chlorine were are both referring to is a gas introduced in the water supply, It is from the Halide class which includes iodine,bromine, and flourine and it definitely not a metal.

Ask a Question