Fish eating babies

rdk

Reaction score
I have a goldfish only pond.The other day I was doing my water change and I was surprised to see a one inch little black fish darting across the pond. My big boy is now 14" long with a big mouth and was thinking the little one is still in danger. They all seem to be getting along. Please let me know. RDK

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Yep, the little guy is in danger. He's nothing but a snack to the bigger fish. In my pond setup, some of the babies get washed over a small waterfall into a second pond where they are able to grow -- and even so, I still only have 3-4 survive each Winter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
stroppy, youve got it right, for the most part fry are safe as soon as theyre big enough to recognised as fish not insect larvae. or at least thats been my experience. ive had 3/4" fry swimming along side 15+" koi.

rdk

Reaction score
He is a fully developed fish and the others seem to be leaving him alone. They chase more with each other then him. Maybe I will just leave him alone, I know he will be happier in the big pond then in a bowl. Thank you .

rdk

Reaction score
My new little one inch goldfish is still doing great in the pond but I would like to know if I can leave him in the pond with the others this winter? I will take the all the winter steps like air pump -plus deicer. Please let me know. RDK

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i left about 20 1&1/2" fry in my pond ..no aeration no pumps no anything. it froze over for 4 months plus...not a casualty in the group....

rdk

Reaction score
Thank you Koiguy: I was hoping I would hear from you, and thank you Pondbuiler 13, Stroppy and the others. RDK

Ask a Question