Fish getting worse after treatment

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All are swimming around together and came to feed! The smallest koi (5") is keeping one of the front fins close to his body, I'm not sure how long this has been going on, I just noticed it this morning!

The sick fish is still alive in his separate tank being treated with Melafix....it is not a koi, it's one of the 2 Shubunkin I always forget I have in there!
I took a pic but don't know how to post it here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
All are swimming around together and came to feed! The smallest koi (5") is keeping one of the front fins close to his body, I'm not sure how long this has been going on, I just noticed it this morning!

The sick fish is still alive in his separate tank being treated with Melafix....it is not a koi, it's one of the 2 Shubunkin I always forget I have in there!
I took a pic but don't know how to post it here

I use the "Upload File " button, to post pictures. It'll ask if you want it thumb print sized or, full scale. Glad to hear they're all doing better.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use my puter to save my pics and upload them right onto here and it is fast .upload a file is easy on my puter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was looking at "image" I didn't even see the upload button, thanks!
Here is my sick fish, I can't even tell if it's getting better or worse, it just looks bad!
DSC01841.JPG DSC01844.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Gemma, I'm not an expert, but I think your fish ( shubunkin ) has a bacterial infection / ulcer. You are fortunate to have it in a smaller container, as it's easier to treat and monitor. I believe you said you were using Melafix?

I've seen Baytril injections, recommended for bad infections, but I don't know enough to comment. Perhaps @Dave 54 , or @Meyer Jordan , would take a look and make a recommendation.

BTW, glad you figured out the photo uploading :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is the fish eating? Rather than expose this fish to another treatment, I would first try medicated food as this appears to be progressing into a bacterial problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Yep start with medicated food. Get this and feed it to the fish in isolation for two weeks.

Hopefully it will be the right antibiotic.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Best thing is to always keep medicated food on hand .I feed a little to my fish every spring along with food with garlic in it .Webbs has a great sale going on now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how's the fish is doing now? everyone survived? I just noticed a week ago that some of my koi in the pond started flashing a bit. And instead of taking then out scraping and stressing them out more, i've decided to go by method of illumination: i've been always given them a precautionary parasite treatment every spring. broad spectrum (malachite green and formalin treatment) for most parasites first and then prazi after. But this spring i did the broad spectrum, but skipped the prazi. So after seeing the obvious sign of parasitic activity, decided to just treat with prazi, as i was almost was sure that it were flukes because i skipped the precautionary for them. The crazy thing that after i added prazi to the water yesterday, a couple of hours later the problem with flashing worsened. I'm not sure if it's correct but i read that some people report the same thing if treating for flukes with praziquantel it will get worse for a day or 2 before it gets better as the medication is killing off the parasites and before they dead they try to dig dipper and irritate fish a lot more. This makes sense. Today after over 24 hours later after treatment was applied koi look a lot calmer then all day yesterday. So keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that theory of getting worse before better is correct. I guess tomorrow will show if improvement will continue to happen. As far as i read and use prazi many times before it never bothered my koi or orandas. Still will more likely to use it as the precautionary rather then deal with actual problem of parasites and then secondary infections and ulcers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
how's the fish is doing now? everyone survived?

The fish is back in the pond and doing great, thanks for asking! :)

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed one of the smallest fish was eating and spitting out its food! I watched him closely for a few days, as he took in the food, only to spit it back out shortly after...I was tempted to separate him and try figuring out what could be wrong, then treat him, but then I thought I just couldn't keep doing this so I left him alone, and he got better on its own!

One thing I did this year and never ever again, was to use Aqua Prazi! I think that's where all my trouble started!
I will go back using parasites treatment that are in liquid form, less messy and less likely to over dose

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The fish is back in the pond and doing great, thanks for asking! :)

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed one of the smallest fish was eating and spitting out its food! I watched him closely for a few days, as he took in the food, only to spit it back out shortly after...I was tempted to separate him and try figuring out what could be wrong, then treat him, but then I thought I just couldn't keep doing this so I left him alone, and he got better on its own!

One thing I did this year and never ever again, was to use Aqua Prazi! I think that's where all my trouble started!
I will go back using parasites treatment that are in liquid form, less messy and less likely to over dose
Very Surprised about you had problems with prazi: i've used the power form many times without a problem. Like mentioned before if fish has flukes it always seems like problem is much worse within a few hours after applying prazi to water as fish starts to flashing and rubbing against objects much more then before because the parasites are being irritated by medicine and in the same way irritate the fish before they complete death of the NASTIES. And the worst the infestation is the more they fish would rub themselves. But usually about 24 hours later the flashing should go less and less. today is the 3rd day after putting prazi into the pond and i only notice very occasional flashing in couple of most affected koi. The best thing is to use prazi as a precautionary matter before problem arrive. This year i fail to do so and definitely got fluke infestation. not every year you'd get it, but i think better to be safe and take precautions. It's kind of hard to overdose with prazi, as from what i read in the order for it to possibly be harmful you'd have to overdose it in about 40 to 50 times over recommended dose witch is very hard to do. The key is not to panic if you see that problem seems to get worse after applying it to water and wait at least 24 to 48 hours watch the fish and see if it's getting better. now i'll reapply the second dose within next couple of days to make sure that anything possibly survived the first application is dead for sure including any larvae. I'm thinking that maybe your fish was irritated by some other medicine that you mentioned you put before prazi and it just didn't mix well with dose of prazi you put in. I truly don't think that prazi itself could've cause bad problem you describe. As spitting food i don't think is a problem. I notice that many of my koi spit food then take it again. It maybe just some fish is too greedy and take more food that they could swallow then just end up spitting it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very Surprised about you had problems with prazi: i I'm thinking that maybe your fish was irritated by some other medicine that you mentioned you put before prazi and it just didn't mix well with dose of prazi you put in. I truly don't think that prazi itself could've cause bad problem you describe. As spitting food i don't think is a problem. I notice that many of my koi spit food then take it again. It maybe just some fish is too greedy and take more food that they could swallow then just end up spitting it.
The only medicine I put in the water before Prazi was Melafix!
I've done the same for years: when I do Spring cleaning I always do a few days of Melafix and then if I notice fish flashing, I do a partial water change and I add anti parasites! I haven't used the same product for parasites, but it was always in liquid form and none of the fish ever had any negative reaction, no worsening of symtoms, no hemoraging fins and no fish loss...I mentioned possible OD because someone more knowlageble than myself said it does happen!

I wrote about the sick little fish but not to imply that Prazi caused the "eating and spitting of food" , I was just saying some things take care of themselves, without the need for meds :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only medicine I put in the water before Prazi was Melafix!
I've done the same for years: when I do Spring cleaning I always do a few days of Melafix and then if I notice fish flashing, I do a partial water change and I add anti parasites! I haven't used the same product for parasites, but it was always in liquid form and none of the fish ever had any negative reaction, no worsening of symtoms, no hemoraging fins and no fish loss...I mentioned possible OD because someone more knowlageble than myself said it does happen!

I wrote about the sick little fish but not to imply that Prazi caused the "eating and spitting of food" , I was just saying some things take care of themselves, without the need for meds :)
It's just a guess but possibly eating-spitting problem could've been caused by if prazi is not fully dissolved in water fish could've taken some powder flakes in it's mouth, as far as i know it's not harmful but it's bitter tasting powder and i'm sure fish wouldn't like the taste. Not sure how you dissolve the powder, but prazi is quite hard to dissolve, so i always predisove my dose in vodka. It makes it much easier: mix the proper dosage of Aqua Prazi with the small amount of Vodka until the mix is like a thin milkshake add to about 5-10 gallon container with pond water, let stand then mix again with your hand and add to pond. Works great! you'll still see some of white flakes after adding it to pond but it will quickly dissolve in big volume of water. It's better to do it that way because powder prazi is much cheaper then liquid version of it (better to save because prazi is quite pricy as it is especially it's liquid form) and it you have large pond it would break your wallet for sure. And if you treated with prazi before without an incident you might not had a fluke problem at that time so it was as the precautionary treatment and that's why your fish didn't have any reaction. When i did it as precaution my fish didn't react too, but if you have flukes you'll see bad reaction at first application as dying flukes will irritated fish a lot. I know mine reacted badly for little over 24 hour period flashing was much worse then before application, then got better with time. Possibly in your case the fluke problem was quite significant and what's why your fish was so irritated with application. I hope it helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is anybody else distrubed by a ph of 9? Treatment toxicity can be affected by ph.
I keep my pond at 6.8 - 7.2.

Ask a Question