sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
caught the dog next door he just got my popeye fish and I caught him and put the fish in a tank by himself and looked at him good but he is now swimming upside down .I don't see any injuries at all and looked at hm good ..What else can I do .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
he swims into my hand to rub him still but he looks ok in general .He wants a belly rub .

Attachments

• popeye fish 006.JPG
    popeye fish 006.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 356
  • popeye fish 008.JPG
    popeye fish 008.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 328
  • popeye fish 010.JPG
    popeye fish 010.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 334

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish I could help sissy, I have no clue, unless the dog did some internal damage to the fish. It might be a case of just watching the fish to see what happens.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
he keeps trying to swim and I rubbed his belly for awhile and he seemed to breathe a little better .I am filtering his water and added a air hose to give the guy as much oxygen I can .He always loved swimming into my hand to get belly rubs .He is fighting thats for sure .While I was out there i think I saw a heron fly over long legs out the back and like a thing under his beak that looks like a pouch .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, so sorry to hear! Hope it pulls through. I don't know, would any kind of antibiotic help, in case of unseen injuries [dogs do have nasty mouth germs], like with people? A little salt in the water? Have no idea how traumatic fish injuries are handled, but I'll be saying little fishy prayers.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I took the air hose out to get a better pic.I went down to take the pic and he swam into my hand wanting more belly rubs

Attachments

• popeye fish 017.JPG
    popeye fish 017.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 323
  • popeye fish 024.JPG
    popeye fish 024.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 376
  • popeye fish 019.JPG
    popeye fish 019.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 341
  • popeye fish 025.JPG
    popeye fish 025.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 304
  • popeye fish 020.JPG
    popeye fish 020.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 348

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sissy, My bet the dog got it out of the pond because it was swimming upside down like that along the edge before hand. In most cases I've seen that is usually a sign of air trapped in the swim bladder. It can be caused from bacteria in the swim bladder but it many cases it just air. Salt treatments have worked for me in many cases. I will go as high as 6% salt levels. heavier water seems also to help push some of the air out. I've also heard and read of some people actually inserting a syringe in the bladder and bleeding some of the air out. However I've never tried that. Good luck with it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well so far he is looking better .Popeye is always just to friendly .I know I was out there just before that and popeye and olive oil (my fantails ) were swimming there watching me and I had to keep pushing them away and they both were fine then .I left the rock off the board to go answer the phone and the dogs must have been loose and i did not see them .When I caught the dog with the fish it was right where i was working .I put in a small handful of solar salt and rubbed his belly .I put the pump and aerator hose in the water I have him in .I figured just the movement would help him .I just looked at him again and he seems even better .I am just hoping he will be ok .I put the net back on and the rock on top .Shame when you have to protect your pond from a dog

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well popeye looks good this morning and i know he misses olive oil and may put her in with him for awhile .Olive oil keeps swimming near the top over by the plants and I think she is looking for him .They are always together .9 years I have had them I have never seen them to far from each other .I think popeye feels the same way .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Glad to hear he's better this morning. Guess it was just the shock of being plucked out by dog teeth.

Keep us posted.

Ask a Question