Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good Sissy! you are a good fish mommy

Reaction score
I couldn't figure out why you thought that fish had pop eye! Now I know .....
sissy said:
well popeye looks good this morning and i know he misses olive oil and may put her in with him for awhile .
Fish are very social, well at least goldfish and koi are; others too I'm sure. On the other hand, the last time I saw Patriot was when Bluebell chased him out of her plant zone. And here I was all worried about the poor singleton girl getting picked on too much. [bettas].

I would put Popeye and Olive Oyl together ....

POPEYE+AND+OLIVE+OYL+4.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Being a fancy goldfish sissy you have to think about what this has done to the fishes insides their internal organs are all sort of scrunched up inside the body cavity.....
As such this leaves them open to a ost of problems the main one being a swimbladder disorder normally caused by it eating where it presses on the swimbladder giving them problems with bouyancy .
Try a diet of peas and cut up earthworm in future as this acts as a sort of natural laxative clearing its stomach out and stopping the pressure on the swimbladder thus correcting its upside down posture
The number of people that have asked me to help with the facy varieties makes me all the more detemind that something should be done about this , possily this trait be bred out of the fancy varieties that are the most proneto this.
You see the same thing happening in the some of the pedigree dogs I've seen especially with the lap dogs and bulldog breeds where they have problems with their soft palet and thus their breating , Poodles can in later life go blind in the two smaller types and some spanielsare prone to fits because the brain is to large for the skull Pekcenease lap lap dogs can sneeze ejectiog both eyes from the head one breed of bull dog has to have a C section to give birth as its pups are too large to be born naturally I could go on and on , moves in the UK are now afoot to change things so you can see its mans fault both are shaped like they are and their are miriads of other fancy breeds that have problems ( thats why we love koi) the body shape remains the same, its just the colour gets changed .

rgrds

Dave
PS I agree that the dog possibly picked it up bcause of this.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I gave him peas the first day and I plan on putting olive oil in with him today since he is doing so great .I fed him a little wheat germ food with garlic in it yesterday and he ate it up like a little pig .Looked at him this morning and he is still fine and he got his belly rub and then was begging for food so gave him 2 peas funny but he eats the inside and spits out the outside of it .picky guy he is .Very true about dogs as my pee wee an applehead chihuahua has a short air way and he has attacks and it seems to always happen with the dogs with the short noses .I knew it could possibly happen with him because my mom raised chihuahua's when I was a kid and we would get a puppy with an even shorter nose and would warn the buyers of this and have all the reports from the vet and all the info to give the people on small breed dogs having this problem.Seemed the shorter the nose was the more risk .My mom always wanted people to understand the dangers and that was over 45 years ago that she started and she did not want to see any family heart broken if some thing happened to there pet .She always encouraged care be taken with small breeds .pee wee has scared me several times and vet even gave me a breathing mask for him when it happens .I just put the meds in and it calms him to allow the air way to open better .I think it has gotten worse because of over breeders of dogs just to make a profit .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The little guy spits out the shell because fish cannot digest the outer shell we have spent many a night shelling peas ready to feed to the koi .
As I said earthworm can also help in this situation.
I believe that goldfish if left alone in a pond for severn or so generations would revert right back to being goldfih again, I think the sadest goldfish has to be the bubble eye bust one sack and it will ulceraye for the rest of its life,however the Chinese apparently farm the fluid in they eye for some treatmebt or other in chinese medicine and have some how gotten round the eye ulcerating.

rgrds

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This is the first time I have ever had to deal with this .A dog ripped my liner over a year ago but did not harm any of the fish and I considered myself lucky that time .I thought for sure he had to harm some of them .When I found him he was trying to get out and never realized how sharp a golder retrievers claws could be ( the owners said he was mixed breed ).He sliced the liner in several spots .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to hear Popeye is doing well now after his ordeal and hope he can soon be back together again w/ his lovely Olive Oil :blueflower:
Hope those darn people keep their dogs home! I'd tie the dog up and take him to the dog pound if it happens again. Let them pay to get him out of jail.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My missy had a collapsing trachea if she got real excited, or it was too hot, she would have trouble breathing, just had to wait it out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
seems like it is normal in small dogs and pee wee gets a seizure I wrap him tight to keep him warm and rub him to stimulate him into breathing normal ,but it sure scares me .Well i put olive oil in with popeye and she preceded to chase him around the tank .around and around they went and finally stopped and were nose to nose and now are side by side .Happy couple again .Didn't get any pics I was busy mowing the lawn .Dentist tomorrow

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is hard to watch when they struggle to breath, she knew to just stop and wait it out. boy do I miss her.

So glad your fish is doing fine Sissy, That is great news! You make a good fish mommy vet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you need another dog and I thought (no to )but loving another one helps the healing part of it .I thought i could never get another dog after loosing my hunter and harley .The pain was less when i rescued the king from being put to sleep and pee wee is just my hubbies doll .He hangs on my hubby like glue .It makes the pain easier .I have never seen my hubby as attached as he is to pee wee and even when he takes his nap pee wee goes with him .Pee wee will whine if he is left out .You need a mothers day gift of a new puppy to warm your heart again addy .Hard to say replace missy but there is a puppy out there that needs your love too .Even though in the end they give more love than they get .We need to be doggie mommies

Ask a Question