addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In another week or two I want to get some goldfish. My son said you can get goldfish at bait shops very cheap but I don't know how good that would be. We have a Petco and one of our garden places that sells them.

Get some nice ones, they will most likely live just fine. So why not start out with some nice looking fish, at petsmart shubbies are around 2.50 or so, nice goldfish around 3-5 bucks.

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
Addy I do want to get some nice ones. What kind do have? I know a lady that said she would go with me when I purchase them to help pick healthy ones. She used to work around fish so she knows alot about them. I wish we had more places to buy fish we are kinda of limited here.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most of my fish are from petsmart, some came from walmart. Look for the colors you like, or long fins. Or make your pond just shubunkins, they are 2.50 or so a piece, not a bad cost for some pretty fish.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy have you ever heard of Trapdoor Snails that clean your pond? I just saw some on Ebay and it sounded very interesting.

I have a ton of them, all sizes, they have been very busy having kids. The little ones are about 1/4 inch or smaller. I don't have algae issues in the big pond, the snails, hungry fish, plants seem to keep it under control

I think Sissy put some in her pond with koi and the koi ate them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Guess our raccoons have not figured out they are there, but the pond is deep enough to discourage those masked bandits, so far.............

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
Well I caved in and got some fish. Sarasa Comets, Ryukin, and longer tailed regular goldfish. I am also posting a picture of my little blue dragonfly that now watches over my little pond. I love my pond :)

Attachments

• Dragonfly.jpg
    Dragonfly.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Fish 1.jpg
    Fish 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 237
  • Fish 2.jpg
    Fish 2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 208
  • Fish 3.jpg
    Fish 3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Fish4.jpg
    Fish4.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 186

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can get the little fantail goldfish they are funny to watch and slow ,i call them butt wigglers .Yep my koi like trap door snails and they really don't clean a lot you would need thousands of them to see any change .Little fat fantails if you make sure you hand feed them ,love to have you put your hand in and rub there bellies .I call them the little pigs of the pond .

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
Sissy, isn't he or she cute! Now you said I can rub its belly. I will have to try that when it gets a little use to the pond. Got 10 little Arkansas snails at a small tropical fish store.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
make sure you hand feed it up close as it took 2 years of gaining my two's confidence before I started the belly rubs and I have had them 8 years .

Ask a Question