Fish intelligence?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I was doing a pre-winter cleanup at the garden center this morning, picking bits and pieces of floating, mostly dead vegetation out of the display pond, when one of the two koi deposited a length of parrot feather stem in my submerged fingers. They both feed from my hand, so I didn't think it was all that unusual. The fish swam about two feet away, grabbed another stem, and again pressed it right into my hand! Did he actually know what I was doing? Once could be a coincidence, but twice within fifteen seconds?
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think they are hiding contraband from you in the pond and they want you to be done w/the clean up and move on. They have been receiving shipments of something else that is green from @callingcolleen1 's koi pond. You don't really believe after all these years that it's just moving water, dog food and caterpillar poop that have been keeping her fish going so strong do you :ROFLMAO::LOL::woot:

Just kidding @callingcolleen1 ;)

Reaction score
Maybe John was the one on weed???

John, next time set up a video camera.
We have a cat that figured out how to open the sliding patio door using the handle, but when we told other people about it they just nodded their head with their tongue in cheek thinking we were exaggerating or it was a one off incident until we produced a video.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that's one clever cat @Mucky_Waters and I can see that is actually your cat cuz of the architecture of your house around the sliders and he/she actually made the news (y)

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I've heard a LOT of slang terms for mary jane but first time I've heard 'parrot feather'. Good one John.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
"Shame the cat cant shut the door to, now that really would be cool" .
May I suggest that you read "Do Fish Feel Pain" by Professor Victoria Braithwaite ISBN 9780199551200
She and other scientists have found fish are far smarter than we think and are more cognitively aware than we have previously accepted

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
All of the higher levels (vertebrates) of animals possess some level of intelligence.
Dave54, interesting that you brought up the topic of fish feeling pain. There are probably as many papers and articles written espousing this view as are those that deny that fish have the ability. Both sides give fairly convincing scientific arguments.

Ask a Question