Fish/Koi Cave Ideas

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by mtravigne, May 17, 2018.

1. mtravigne

mtravigne

What do you use as far as a koi cave? I've seen the big plastic tubes; not sure what they are or where to get them, or if anyone has any other suggestions for an inexpensive but effective fish cave. Thanks for reading!

mtravigne, May 17, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. mtravigne

guitarman023

I've seen PVC in large diameter mostly, lowes has it, but you would have to buy 8ft of it probably. Shouldn't be very expensive though.

guitarman023, May 17, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. mtravigne

mtravigne

Thank you. I was there yesterday, short on time and no idea where to look for what I wanted.

mtravigne, May 17, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
  4. mtravigne

guitarman023

Should be in one of the plumbing aisles, you will see big racks full of lengths of pipe. I think the bigger stuff you're going to be looking for will be a light green color

guitarman023, May 17, 2018
    bagsmom and mtravigne like this.
  5. mtravigne

Angel

plumbing pies will work and some use chimney flue liners. or just a natural rock set up. I would suggest angling the open part down a touch ( back in to the pond) to allow water to lower when and if you need to drain the pond the fish will come out better.

Angel, May 17, 2018
  6. mtravigne

Jhn

I used the hdpe black corrugated pipe, I had some 12-18” diameter left over from a job.

I put 4 - 2-3’ pieces in the pond under the waterfall anchored with bricks. One is under a large knobby driftwood tree stump as well. It is hard to tell the pipe is even there with the waterfall running.

Jhn, May 17, 2018
  7. mtravigne

EricV

I use a black garbage can (8 gallons or so). I don't know if they ever use it.

EricV, May 17, 2018
  8. mtravigne

RobAmy

I used Corrugated Culvert Pipe which I got for free from a landscape company for free. I had to drill holes in it or it will float

RobAmy, May 17, 2018
  9. mtravigne

GBBUDD

Chimney flue algae good algae that is grows on the clay almost making it blend in says Lisa. I used rock . With the new pond I dug into the wall before the liner went in then put a flat stone roof on it. the second photo shows the roof on the cave but it was the first version the roof was completely changed using different rocks that fit better but it gives the idea. it's to the left of the bucket the three pieces of stone. then just above that I made a fish tunnel it's two channels about 4 feet wide by 6 feet long . it's the group of rocks off to the right of the rocks in a circle toward the left side. oh the fish cave is now close to 4 feet deep about a 16" tall .[​IMG][​IMG]

GBBUDD, May 18, 2018
    qclabrat, bagsmom and mtravigne like this.
  10. mtravigne

bagsmom

I did like RobAmy and used culvert pipe. It worked great!
    IMG_3508.jpg IMG_3546.jpg IMG_3579.jpg

bagsmom, May 18, 2018
  11. mtravigne

Telion

I took the Pond diggers advice and kept looking around for left over pieces at construction sites. I had been watching for about a year and finally came across a site that had one. It was two pieces actually an end joint that was cut off and disguarded and a piece that was scrap from a tube 20180422_205601.jpg

Telion, May 18, 2018
    qclabrat and mtravigne like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question