Fish/Koi Cave Ideas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
What do you use as far as a koi cave? I've seen the big plastic tubes; not sure what they are or where to get them, or if anyone has any other suggestions for an inexpensive but effective fish cave. Thanks for reading!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've seen PVC in large diameter mostly, lowes has it, but you would have to buy 8ft of it probably. Shouldn't be very expensive though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
plumbing pies will work and some use chimney flue liners. or just a natural rock set up. I would suggest angling the open part down a touch ( back in to the pond) to allow water to lower when and if you need to drain the pond the fish will come out better.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I used the hdpe black corrugated pipe, I had some 12-18” diameter left over from a job.

I put 4 - 2-3’ pieces in the pond under the waterfall anchored with bricks. One is under a large knobby driftwood tree stump as well. It is hard to tell the pipe is even there with the waterfall running.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Chimney flue algae good algae that is grows on the clay almost making it blend in says Lisa. I used rock . With the new pond I dug into the wall before the liner went in then put a flat stone roof on it. the second photo shows the roof on the cave but it was the first version the roof was completely changed using different rocks that fit better but it gives the idea. it's to the left of the bucket the three pieces of stone. then just above that I made a fish tunnel it's two channels about 4 feet wide by 6 feet long . it's the group of rocks off to the right of the rocks in a circle toward the left side. oh the fish cave is now close to 4 feet deep about a 16" tall .
fish-cave-jpg.110363
20180508_182524-19299-jpg.110420

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I took the Pond diggers advice and kept looking around for left over pieces at construction sites. I had been watching for about a year and finally came across a site that had one. It was two pieces actually an end joint that was cut off and disguarded and a piece that was scrap from a tube
20180422_205601.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Chimney flue algae good algae that is grows on the clay almost making it blend in says Lisa.

We are using a chimney flue for our fish cave currently. We had a big piece of culvert (too big actually) that we had cut into a half moon shape so it would sit flat on the pond bottom. We covered it with rock, but I just never liked the way it looked. And because it was curved, I couldn't get pots to sit on top. So we switched to the chimney flue a few years ago and like it so much better. It's a great place to put plant pots and it does blend right in once algae starts to grow on it. You could also put rocks on top if you wanted.

Had we planned ahead and built in fish caves, I would have used the culvert pipes though. I'd be concerned that the clay might eventually degrade and start to fall apart. Not sure if that's a real fear, but if it's built in you'd have a reconstruction job on your hands.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my caves were carved into the sides of the soils and I just played the liner in it and covered it

Ask a Question