Fish pond NOOB!

Reaction score
My first pond had an internal pump, lets just say that my second does NOT. Internal pumps can be BAD news! Nothing worse then coming home and hearing your pump sucking air ... and noticing no water in your pond. If it is going to be internal, make sure you have the pump inlet high enough so you don't end up draining your pond if your plumbing breaks, or a filter gets clogged.

I think I can speak for a lot of ponders here. The advice given is all from experience. I'd never build a pond without a bottom drain, preferably running into a settling chamber. A skimmer and a decent sized bio filter is also a must.

My pond is almost completely maintenance free with crystal free water. I haven't touched my bio filter since I built my pond 2 years ago. The bottom drain gets the leaves and anything else that sinks before the skimmer gets it and it ends up settling in my settling chamber. I don't have any filter media to change or clean.

My old pond had a filtered bio filter. I'd have to clean the media once a week, if not more often. The setup I had was just too much work for me. Too much maintenance and the pond just isn't enjoyable anymore.

Either way you go, you'll enjoy your pond.

Reaction score
kirscp said:
My first pond had an internal pump, lets just say that my second does NOT. Internal pumps can be BAD news! Nothing worse then coming home and hearing your pump sucking air ... and noticing no water in your pond. If it is going to be internal, make sure you have the pump inlet high enough so you don't end up draining your pond if your plumbing breaks, or a filter gets clogged.

I think I can speak for a lot of ponders here. The advice given is all from experience. I'd never build a pond without a bottom drain, preferably running into a settling chamber. A skimmer and a decent sized bio filter is also a must.

My pond is almost completely maintenance free with crystal free water. I haven't touched my bio filter since I built my pond 2 years ago. The bottom drain gets the leaves and anything else that sinks before the skimmer gets it and it ends up settling in my settling chamber. I don't have any filter media to change or clean.

My old pond had a filtered bio filter. I'd have to clean the media once a week, if not more often. The setup I had was just too much work for me. Too much maintenance and the pond just isn't enjoyable anymore.

Either way you go, you'll enjoy your pond.

Clap! Clap! Clap! Brava! Great reasons to do what you've done. The WORK is reduced to nearly nothing in a proper bio system!

Reaction score
kirscp said:
Nothing worse then coming home and hearing your pump sucking air ... and noticing no water in your pond.

Ouch :( I was not keen on this very outcome but wanted the pump on the bottom so made up a float switch that is submerged (and hidden) to a level to stop the pump very early in case of a plumbing leak before a lot of water is lost.

Looking at those pond socks I would have thought they would require a bit of maintenance cleaning? I went for a pump that could pump 8mm solids so I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning it :)

Reaction score
Binary said:
Ouch :( I was not keen on this very outcome but wanted the pump on the bottom so made up a float switch that is submerged (and hidden) to a level to stop the pump very early in case of a plumbing leak before a lot of water is lost.

Looking at those pond socks I would have thought they would require a bit of maintenance cleaning? I went for a pump that could pump 8mm solids so I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning it :)

Nah, the socks aren't hard to clean at all. You just yank 'em outta the water and hose 'em down.

Smart move on the float switch. I've had the submersibles do the very same thing and drain large quantites of water from my pond. That's why I also have an external now.

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Sequence 750 and I don't hear it at all. You could have easily gotten a small external to cover both the 1200 and 325 and prob used less power. Externals don't have to be big, there are some that can push smaller gph's such as you describe. And with externals, I don't have to go fishing in my pond to get 'em out to clean 'em. When it comes to electricity, I just don't like to be dealing with water at the same time, either.

Reaction score
Hi,
they have come along way, but i use prefilters (2 to be exact) plumbed on flexable hose to different spots in my pond, this helps eliminate dead spots. and i have them tied to black nylon string so i can easily pull them up to clean. but i took out the matala media so they never have clogged on me anyways. if leaves build up on the outside i wipe them off and im done.

Ask a Question