Fish with Swimblader Disease

Reaction score
Hey guys im not really sure what to do for the best and hope some of you can give me some advice. One of the goldfish in my garden pond has what i think is seim bladder disease where it just floats on the surface unable to stay under the water but keeps trying to swim down. I have tried everything i can think off but nothing has been able to cure the fish.

To be honest i did mot expect the fish to last long but has been like this for about 5 months now. The problem is that now we are having really sunny weather and the fish skin has started to blister in the sun. He keeps trying to swim down but surfaces a few seconds later with the same side facing the sun.

I have added some plants and he tries to swim under them for shade but keeps getting pushed out from under them and is unable to stay sheltered.

I am worried that the fish is suffering or in pain being burnt by the sun and if it would be kinder to put him out of misery.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated it us horrible to see the fish like this.

Thnx Elroy.

Ps sorry about any mistakes this is typed at work on phone.

Reaction score
I went and bought the most complete testing kit st my local aquatics centre and tested everything. All the test results came back fine. Also it is just the one fish. Mostly diet things i have tried everything from peas to gel food.

Also may be worth mentioning the fish appears to be bent. Like the spine is warped but sideways. After reading lots of forums im starting to think could it be tb? Could that also cause the floating problem?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Quick fix. Just put a piece of styrofoam over the edge of the pond, that'll give the pond a piece of shade the little fishy can hide under.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome-3.gif
Elroy
Sorry about your fish and hope you can find some help for him. I've heard the peas do help if it's swim bladder but don't know if the bent spine is a symptom of that or not.

Ask a Question