Fishless Cycling

Reaction score
Country
India
I have started up again...bought a new tank a week ago ...9 gallon . but now i'm really confused how to start with . I have checked on internet how to cycle a tank without fish-fishless cycle since i cannot take the risk and let the fish die. But its all messed up and i can't understand anything.so i humbly request if anyone can explain me the method of fishless cycle and it will also be great to suggest me some good varieties of fishes . Would i require a test kit too ??....and which company would be better for test kit?

thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome back @neha ! I remember all your struggles from before. It sounds like you have a slightly bigger tank to work with this time. What kind of fish are you hoping to keep?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What so many people don't realize is that the smaller the tank the HARDER it is to be successful, now if your going with gold fish or a Siamese fighting fish a 9 gallon tank is no problem. But what you have to realize is there is very little room for error you can change the water parameters very quickly and easily like by adding a gallon of water due to evaporation. this can stress out the fish if the temp is different or the using bottled water and the tank had city water. The temps can fluctuated on a hot summers day say 20 degrees or more this will stress out if not kill more ornamental fish. It's not that it can't be done it's just more demanding. Some of the Nano tanks some folks have created are amazing. good luck

Reaction score
Country
India
Welcome back @neha ! I remember all your struggles from before. It sounds like you have a slightly bigger tank to work with this time. What kind of fish are you hoping to keep?

Thanks a lot . In the mean time i have collected money by saving my pocket money and now i have decided to set up an aquarium . I have already bought a tank and now trying to get API water test kit and then will soon start the fishless cycling..actually not yet decided about the species of fishes but i'm thinking about guppies or small fishes will be fine.

Reaction score
Country
India
What so many people don't realize is that the smaller the tank the HARDER it is to be successful, now if your going with gold fish or a Siamese fighting fish a 9 gallon tank is no problem. But what you have to realize is there is very little room for error you can change the water parameters very quickly and easily like by adding a gallon of water due to evaporation. this can stress out the fish if the temp is different or the using bottled water and the tank had city water. The temps can fluctuated on a hot summers day say 20 degrees or more this will stress out if not kill more ornamental fish. It's not that it can't be done it's just more demanding. Some of the Nano tanks some folks have created are amazing. good luck

Thank you . I will try my best this time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Guppies sound like the perfect starting point! They are fun to watch and easy to care for - good luck!
and breed like rabbits. one dies and six take it's place lol mollies too

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
and breed like rabbits. one dies and six take it's place lol mollies too

No lie! I put 2 dozen guppies in my patio pond this year. Frogs found them and keep eating the big ones, but more babies keep appearing. LIKE MAGIC!

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello everyone

During the process of cycling my tank , unfortunately something went wrong and after a week it had started leaking and so everything went off.
This time i made sure that everything will be fine and then i replaced my tank and got a new one with the same size
I have arranged all the things. but this time i decided not to add any plants .
I have put a filter , heater and light [pink color] .
I don't know whether there is any requirement of heater and light but i have heard that it fasten the process of fish-less cycling.
From today i have started to put small amount of flakes in the tank and will add it regularly ones a week for 6 Weeks and then it will be ready. Anything else ?
Please do suggest me whether i should put the heater and light in tank or not and please suggest any improvements if required .

Below are the images of my new tank set up yesterday
20181215_220349[1].jpg
20181215_220430[1].jpg
20181215_220413[1].jpg
20181215_220349[1].jpg 20181215_220430[1].jpg 20181215_220413[1].jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi neha,

That's too bad about the leak but great to see you have it back up and running again.
The heater is not necessary in your climate. The lights will be ok but could help algae grow.
If you do see any signs of algae, stop putting food in the tank and add the fish.
The algae will protect your fish from poor water conditions.
I see a small pump against the back wall. You don't need much circulation, so turn down the flow if possible.
Also, no more than 2 small fish for now.

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi neha,

That's too bad about the leak but great to see you have it back up and running again.
The heater is not necessary in your climate. The lights will be ok but could help algae grow.
If you do see any signs of algae, stop putting food in the tank and add the fish.
The algae will protect your fish from poor water conditions.
I see a small pump against the back wall. You don't need much circulation, so turn down the flow if possible.
Also, no more than 2 small fish for now.

Thank you so much
I will remove the heater right now and will also turn down the flow of filter.
so that means if i detect some algae growing in my tank , i need not wait for 6 weeks and can add 2 small fish....well are you sure the water will be safe enough to add any fish after some algae is seen on the walls of my tank
well, i have decided to get only 2 guppies ...it will be a good starting:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about the first tank, it's good that you did not get discouraged and are willing to get advice and try again. I hope this time you have success.

Ask a Question