Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

My pond will be 20' x 15' x 4 feet deep
9000 Gallons
No fish
No or little plants

I want to get a waterfall filter, and I am thinking I can go for a smaller one, like 5000 gallon size filter since there are no fish

Also, I can then use a smaller pump, maybe 4500 GPH or even 2500GPH, since there is no fish waste?

Does this sound right?

Reaction score
Country
United States
LOL, no fish because I am planning to use it as a pool for swims and soaking, it's 114F in the Cali desert, and I need to cool down.

I have 4 giant aquariums in the house, so I have plenty of fish for company there.

I will have plants in the ground all around it, and possibly will add a shelf for some pond plants too

I did not want to add chemicals, wanted a more natural simmming area, so was going to do a simple biological media filled waterfall filter to keep water clean, and will add some type of algae control and skimmer.

Do you think if I go 3000 GPH pump it will be enough to cycle the water properly? I will also have a fountain in the middle of it

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would suggest that you do some research on NSPs (Natural Swim Ponds). A waterfall filter will not be close to providing any protection against waterborne pathogens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, thanks, another question, I will have a block wall inside due to 4 foot height, I was going to do underlayment (geotextile) first, then the block then the EPDM over the block

Is that the right order?

Ask a Question