Fixing a pond

Jer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,we bought a house with a small pond (8x10) last summer. A couple of weeks ago we were gone for a weekend and when we came back half the water was gone. Once it was completely drained I pulled out the old liner and I'm having trouble deciding what liner to use. I narrowed it down to EPDM or RPE. Which one would be better to use? We would like to have some plants and a couple of fishes. We live in Maryland if that makes a difference.

Jer

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a picture of the pond with the liner removed. The wooden boards are the edge of the pond and the rocks were around it and covering the boards. Would also like recommendations if there's anything I need to change. Eventually I would like to add a small waterfall, should I do it now or can I add it later?

Attachments

• IMG_20220522_102357247_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220522_102357247_HDR.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220522_102345754_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220522_102345754_HDR.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 19

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1653235297336.gif
@Jer
I use EPDM 45ml and have never used the other. Some here have them so they can help ya. Did that pond have any kind of protective underlay under the liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I haven’t used EPDM, but that’s the standard. I have a number of RPE liners. They’re a lot stiffer but lighter and stronger. I think it would work fine for you.

If you want a waterfall, do it now and do the pond and falls with a single liner. Will save you a lot of headache.

Jer

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 150971@Jer
I use EPDM 45ml and have never used the other. Some here have them so they can help ya. Did that pond have any kind of protective underlay under the liner?
Thank you! It did not have a underlay under the liner. I think I'm supposed to use one if I choose the EPDM liner,right?

Jer

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven’t used EPDM, but that’s the standard. I have a number of RPE liners. They’re a lot stiffer but lighter and stronger. I think it would work fine for you.

If you want a waterfall, do it now and do the pond and falls with a single liner. Will save you a lot of headache.
Thank you for the advice. I read somewhere that the RPE was better for larger ponds since it's less flexible. Will it work fine for a waterfall too? Or should I use a more flexible one for that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you for the advice. I read somewhere that the RPE was better for larger ponds since it's less flexible. Will it work fine for a waterfall too? Or should I use a more flexible one for that?
Hi. I have always used epdm with good results. A liner might not be a bad idea because of the tree roots that I see. Definitely you could build a small waterfall on one end. Most experienced ponders will say you can never have enough water movement for a healthy pond. Also are you planning a biological filter? They are a great way of keeping the pond water healthy for your fish. Also I would recommend you make it 3-4 feet deep to keep a stable water temperature in all seasons and also to protect the fish from predictors. Be sure to berm the edges of the pond higher than the ground next to it to keep harmful water runoff that may have chemicals from your yard go into it. Also you may want to check the height of the wood on the sides and make sure everything is level. You can put a level on a 2x4 to check that it’s the same all around. Also when you install the new liner it can take a month or two before the new pond is chemically balanced so don’t add more than one or two small fish before it has cycled. You will know it’s cycled when a lot of the algae disappears on its own. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

I've built 4 waterfalls big and small with the stuff now, so I'd say it's fine for that. You can't go wrong either way. They're both great materials

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Definitely don’t go with a plastic or PVC liner. I used 45 mil EPDM. It was fairly easy to work with. Use an underlayment.

Last edited by a moderator:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

I used RPE type liner for 5 of my last ponds. From small to big and one huge rpe liner for my current pond and bog. They said I did not need underlayment. But our dirt is a bit of dirt with a ton of shale and rocks. So I did use underlay.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Jer I myself would use underlayment for all types of liners just to be safe. You can use old pieces of carpet w/o any tacks or blankets, cardboard, towels, throw rugs or a combo of anything soft and thick. If using old blankets, towels or bedspreads you might want to layer them to make it thick. You don't want any punctures from rocks or roots.

Ask a Question