Flashing behavior

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a couple fish that are turning sideways and rubbing along floor of pond. It’s pretty rare. I’ll sit there for 30 minutes watching and won’t see a single flash but occasionally will see a single fish out of 20 doing it. Looks more like dog zoomies to me than a reaction to parasites but I’m a not an expert.

The pond is extremely well maintained with crystal clear water from bio press/uv filtration and no visible signs of stress or damage to fish which are active and have great appetites.

I don’t have access to a microscope but should I do a treatment of Pro Form C even though it looks more like a few fish having some fun? It’s only 3 maybe 4 out of 20 fish that I’ve ever seen doing it and like I said it’s pretty rare. I read pro form c is the best multi spectrum if you don’t have a means of identifying. Is that something people do annually for prevention?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Could they be spawning? Are they koi, goldfish.....?
Actually yeah I’ve seen some deposits of eggs and 2 of the fish doing it look plump. Koi and goldfish. Is flashing also something pregos do? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I would not treat the pond with Proform C. It could be spawning, or they could just be playing. I would keep a careful eye on them and if it becomes more frequent or you notice other symptoms, I'd learn what the proper treatment would be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would not treat the pond with Proform C. It could be spawning, or they could just be playing. I would keep a careful eye on them and if it becomes more frequent or you notice other symptoms, I'd learn what the proper treatment would be.
I was still wondering if people use a broad spectrum parasite product like Proform as a yearly or every other year preventative but I don’t know anything about it’s effect on the fish. Sounds like the answer is no.

I’m a complete noob when it’s comes to water treatment. Other than monitoring ph and ammonia levels Im not adding anything else to the water other than the tetra pond barley product occasionally. Is there a go to water treatment I’m missing out on that will make the fish more resilient or the water less likely to host parasites? Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
A healthy fish with a good slime coat, is resistant to parasites which are always present in water. From what I've read over the years I believe the best way to do that is by not over stocking and keeping excellent water parameters.

Have you heard of the strictly koi site koiphen.com? It has a lot of useful information on the health of koi.

Ask a Question