j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can't worry about what you did on adding the fish too fast. Next time only add a couple fish and wait weeks before adding more. Quarantine any brand new fish for several weeks in a separate water container. I don't use chemicals so can't help you w/those.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@420benz - flashing is when a fish scrapes itself against the side or bottom of the pond. It's caused by something that's irritating the fish, like when you get an itch and try to scratch it.

Can you buy "good" bacteria? Well, you can buy bacteria products, and they call it beneficial, so I guess you can buy "good" bacteria. There's a variety of viewpoints however on whether it's helpful or not to add to your pond - or even whether it's actually viable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Welcome to the world of keeping fish! So if you haven't already I would suggest you buy some dechlorinator and add it to your pond. ASAP. it is possible the flashing by the fish is irritation from the chlorine or chloramine. THe fish with the white mouth is the immediate worry. I would remove it from the pond and put it in a small tank or kiddy pool.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is puttin a dechlorinator in to the pond with fish safe? I've seen people suggest doing this during filling the pond? My test results seem to have little or no chlorine in the pond but would it be worth dechlorinating it anyway?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Dechlor is fish safe, but if it's chlorine in the water it's already gone. It dissipates rather quickly. If it's chloramine, that's another story.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've read that it might take up to 6 wks for the Chloromine to leave on it's own, if you have that one in your water. Call your water district and ask them if you have that exact thing in your water, not Chlorine as that dissipates quicker. The dechlorinater/ and Chlormomine remover won't hurt your fish if you follow the instructions. If you are worried put the remover in a gallon of your pond water and shake it up and add it to the pond and swirl it around some. Here is some reading for you: https://www.thesprucepets.com/remove-chloramines-from-tap-water-2924183

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Is puttin a dechlorinator in to the pond with fish safe? I've seen people suggest doing this during filling the pond? My test results seem to have little or no chlorine in the pond but would it be worth dechlorinating it anyway?
I Would add a good dechlorinator (they are made to be added with fish in the pond). The better ones also have chemicals that enhance the slime coating on the fish and that is what you should be trying to do. I suspect that when you added the fish and the new water that damaged their slime coat and that is why they are flicking. Also add some salt which also enhances the protective coating (non-iodized salt). (like swimming pool salt). To start with I would add about 1lb of salt per 1000 gallons of water. This is a low dosage but should help the fish to rebuild their slime coat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
To start with I would add about 1lb of salt per 1000 gallons of water. This is a low dosage but should help the fish to rebuild their slime coat.

I would read a bit more about salt in a pond - recommendations on salt have changed in recent years. Salt bath for an affected fish = yes. Salting the entire pond = not so much. Many say overuse of salt is like antibiotics - when you really need it, it won't be effective. A healthy fish will maintain a healthy slime coat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
I would read a bit more about salt in a pond - recommendations on salt have changed in recent years. Salt bath for an affected fish = yes. Salting the entire pond = not so much. Many say overuse of salt is like antibiotics - when you really need it, it won't be effective. A healthy fish will maintain a healthy slime coat.
Agree with what you are saying to some degree BUT in this case the fish are flicking and that is not good for Koi. The dose I have suggested is low but will help them IMO as they are in need of something.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The dose I have suggested is low but will help them IMO as they are in need of something.

I agree something needs to happen, but salting the pond has fallen out of common use, especially in a garden pond with plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
I agree something needs to happen, but salting the pond has fallen out of common use, especially in a garden pond with plants.
I dont think he has plants in the pond at this stage. I dont have plants in my pond as the Koi are too big and tend to destroy plants. I get my Koi from a local Koi breeder who has 50 years experience and he uses a low dose of salt in all his ponds as well. If my Koi were flashing and flicking I would add a low dose of salt as the first choice before trying other more aggressive chemicals. I dont keep salt in my pond all year round. I use it if I suspect a problem with skin irritation or parasites.

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The problem with using salt even in low concentrations is that it stays in the pond. The only way to remove it is multiple water changes. Some fish treatments cannot be used with any salt in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Each to their own @Ray G - if it works for you, then great. I was just pointing out that the practice of salt in ponds has changed significantly. And as @mrsclem mentioned, if you use salt in the pond, then you are also going to need to do water changes to get it out of the pond and the thinking on regular, large water changes has adapted over time, too.

I'm not sure how you know this pond doesn't have plants, but even so it would be important to know that if you intend to have plants then salt may be a problem down the road. And we've had both big koi and plants in our pond - they co-existed peacefully.

Ask a Question